Alcohol for the first time Watch

Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m moving in to university tomorrow.

I’ve never drank alcohol before because I come from a religious family (muslims).

But now that I’m moving out and am finally free I’m excited to try it.

So I’m wondering what I should start with. Like what would I order at a club or bar or wherever uni people drink. Also, although I do want to get drunk, I’ve seen too many videos of it and don’t want to get drunk my first time drinking. I want to get drunk for the first time in private with a few friends not in public like at a club or something.
So how much should I drink and what kinds of drinks.

Would I be able to feel myself starting g to become drunk so I know to stop or does it just hit you at once.
Also do you only get hangovers if you’ve been drunk or does drinking any alcohol give you a hangover.

Sorry for writing so much but I honestly have no clue about any of these things. And I really want to have fun whilst being safe.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You seem to have a good attitude towards drinking safely which is great! Just always remember to never feel pressure to drink at all if you don’t want to, or more than you would like, and if you are drinking, plan your journey home and stay safe with friends and people you know.

In terms of actual advice with drinking, everyone has their own limits but some drinks are stronger than others. Common alcoholic drinks include:
- beer/cider: normally about 4% alcohol (quite low) so can be a good drink to start, plus cider is quite sweet meaning it’s got a nice taste
- wine: normally about 10-12% (moderate), white and rosé tend to be more popular with students I find
- spirits e.g. vodka/gin: these are high percentage (30-40%) so be careful! Normally mixed with a soft drink (e.g. lemonade or orange juice) which can mask the alcohol which is something to be wary of. Cocktails are mixed drinks with spirits and other drinks (soft drinks, syrups etc) which taste lovely but again, have quite a high alcohol content so be careful as it’s easy to drink a lot do cocktails (because they taste nice) and not actually realise how much alcohol you’re drinking!

You will know when the alcohol starts to hit you - as I say, alcohol affects people differently but for a first time drinking your tolerance will be pretty low. It’s likely after 1/2 drinks you’ll feel ‘tipsy’, so you might feel a bit more giggly, a little dizzy, generally quite chatty and more outgoing. After a few more, you start to get into more drunk territory, so I’d recommend just having a couple of drinks to get used to feeling tipsy and then build up your tolerance.

Hangovers really only happen when you’ve drunk a lot of alcohol, and especially if you’ve been drinking spirits. Aim to have a glass of water after every alcoholic drink and that will a) help prevent a hangover and b) help you moderate your drinking.

Stay safe, and enjoy!
EyestriX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maybe you should think about this once more
Arifali4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You still have time to think about it OP
Lifeismad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just cause your going uni doesn’t mean you need to drink now but thats upto you and your lord🤷🏻*♀️ stay safe
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am far from a religious Muslim but I wouldn’t try alcohol because I know how forbidden it is. I’m all for people trying new things and being free. And ofc it’s fine you want to try it, it’s not my business, but don’t do it because others are, only if you want to do it for yourself
Justbeingmyself
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I also come from a religious family and have tried it and it mostly tastes horrible, apart from certain ciders which are more like a soft drink that I'm used to. Can't say I've ever craved getting drunk though, but it's your life I guess. Beer is quite bitter and the rest taste like some sort of medicine with a strong aftertaste.
4StarsOutOf5
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Justbeingmyself)
I also come from a religious family and have tried it and it mostly tastes horrible, apart from certain ciders which are more like a soft drink that I'm used to. Can't say I've ever craved getting drunk though, but it's your life I guess. Beer is quite bitter and the rest taste like some sort of medicine with a strong aftertaste.
blasphemy
Justbeingmyself
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 4StarsOutOf5)
blasphemy
Religion is man made anyway. most people only believe it because they happened to be born into a specific family, even though there's like over four thousand different ones out there.
Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Okay, so today I’ve had two shots of vodka and some cider.

I don’t think I got drunk. I felt weird but I think that’s probably due to the four double shot expressos I drank.

I always went to a club.
The experience was surreal with all the light and loud noise. I felt pretty good there.

So all in all today was a fun day. Although I don’t think I’ll be drinking much in the future. I’ve decided I have no intention of getting super drunk. So a few pre drinks on days I go clubbing is all I’ll do I think.

Thanks for the help everyone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (103)
66.88%
No I haven't decided yet (31)
20.13%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
12.99%

Watched Threads