Pharmacy, optometry or biomedical sciences Watch

Aiesha6
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Currently in final year of alevels and in the process of doing ucas

But I don’t know which degree to do,
I currently have a part time job in a pharmacy which is chill, all pharmacists have said not to do pharmacy due to what’s going on etc and have said to do optometry or medicine etc

I did do work experience in an opticians back in year 10, I did enjoy it but i dont know which to go for??

Biomedical... just in a lab all day

Want a salary that’s good like over £35k

So which one should I go for bearing in mind I’ll be in employment in five years time (sort of)....
farafara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
sounds like you dont want to do biomedical because its lonely being in a lab all day? so thats out

i would like at what you enjoyed, what kind of environment you might like to work in,then what might be easier for you, and which one has a broad range of career options

pharmacists are not just in community shops - there are different types of hospital jobs, jobs in industry which may be lab or office based
Aiesha6
Rep:
?
(Original post by farafara)
sounds like you dont want to do biomedical because its lonely being in a lab all day? so thats out

i would like at what you enjoyed, what kind of environment you might like to work in,then what might be easier for you, and which one has a broad range of career options

pharmacists are not just in community shops - there are different types of hospital jobs, jobs in industry which may be lab or office based
I don’t mind the environment working in, as long as there is people,

But at the moment both optometry and pharmacy are saturated and have been negative stuff on the news about both.... but in five years time which would be best?
AliceV_647
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aiesha6)
I don’t mind the environment working in, as long as there is people,

But at the moment both optometry and pharmacy are saturated and have been negative stuff on the news about both.... but in five years time which would be best?
I don't think any of us are going to be able to predict the future. Although from what I've heard from the community pharmacists I work with (I also have a part time pharmacy job) things in pharmacy aren't great atm as there are so many shortages of drugs etc and pharmacists have to deal with more and more angry people each day. In terms of the job market though, I wouldn't say the situation is dire - there definitely are jobs around. I can't speak for optometry, but tbh I'd just pick the one that you're most interested in and you'll end up where you need to be in life.
Aiesha6
Rep:
?
(Original post by AliceV_647)
I don't think any of us are going to be able to predict the future. Although from what I've heard from the community pharmacists I work with (I also have a part time pharmacy job) things in pharmacy aren't great atm as there are so many shortages of drugs etc and pharmacists have to deal with more and more angry people each day. In terms of the job market though, I wouldn't say the situation is dire - there definitely are jobs around. I can't speak for optometry, but tbh I'd just pick the one that you're most interested in and you'll end up where you need to be in life.
Yes that’s what all the pharmacists I work with too have said.... I don’t know tbh like the government have shut over 100 Lloyd’s and Boots pharmacies over the country and are planning to do more etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads