Investment banking, corporate law, or IB and then GDL? ( PLEASE HELP) Watch

RKaren
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I am very unsure about which of these three options I should choose.
If you have any experience in any of these three options could you please tell me about it?

I am not sure about whether to study Accounting and Finance ( or Economics) for IB or to do the LLB for law (+LLM). I am interested in both IB and Law and I just do not know what is the right option for me - I do not know that much about either career paths, how am I suppose to know which one to choose?

I was also considering studying either A and F or Economics for IB and if I decide that it is not the right thing then I could switch to Law by doing the GDL ( could someone please confirm if this is correct - does doing the GDL allow one to become a barrister or solicitor?). I also read somewhere that many magic circle firms actually hire quite a few people with a non law degree who have then done a GDL (they see it as a bit beneficial since the person has insights in areas that a person who has only studied law does not? But then again does having an economics degree or an A and F degree really make a difference for someone who wants to do corporate law? I am not sure but I think this 'non law degree and then GDL' path might mostly be beneficial in areas such as legal medicine or something like that ( more natural science orientated - like if someone has a chemistry degree).

Also, assuming the GDL does allow one to become a barrister or solicitor, would a first in GDL be considered more impressive than a first in LLB? ( since it is all 3 years condensed into one ( unless I am wrong about this)?). Are the GDL and LLB (+ LLM) viewed equally?
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RKaren)
Hi, I am very unsure about which of these three options I should choose.
If you have any experience in any of these three options could you please tell me about it?

I am not sure about whether to study Accounting and Finance ( or Economics) for IB or to do the LLB for law (+LLM). I am interested in both IB and Law and I just do not know what is the right option for me - I do not know that much about either career paths, how am I suppose to know which one to choose?

I was also considering studying either A and F or Economics for IB and if I decide that it is not the right thing then I could switch to Law by doing the GDL ( could someone please confirm if this is correct - does doing the GDL allow one to become a barrister or solicitor?). I also read somewhere that many magic circle firms actually hire quite a few people with a non law degree who have then done a GDL (they see it as a bit beneficial since the person has insights in areas that a person who has only studied law does not? But then again does having an economics degree or an A and F degree really make a difference for someone who wants to do corporate law? I am not sure but I think this 'non law degree and then GDL' path might mostly be beneficial in areas such as legal medicine or something like that ( more natural science orientated - like if someone has a chemistry degree).

Also, assuming the GDL does allow one to become a barrister or solicitor, would a first in GDL be considered more impressive than a first in LLB? ( since it is all 3 years condensed into one ( unless I am wrong about this)?). Are the GDL and LLB (+ LLM) viewed equally?
1. study what you want you can get into banking or law with whatever degree you eventually choose (obviously don't do something ridiculous like underwater basket weaving)

2. chillax
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads