The Student Room Group

Birth control extra pill at different time

Hi,
So I took my last active pill on Friday
I then started my 7 day break on Saturday. Then I decided that because of my plans I didn't want a period this week, so I chose to take a pill in the early hours of Sunday morning (at this point about 43 hours have passed since my last pill) to make up for the one 'missed' on Saturday if I were to do it back to back - bearing in mind I didn't actually have to have a pill on Saturday. I then continued taking the pills at my regular time on Sunday onwards.
Am I protected still?
Will my cycle stay on track since I took two pills on the Sunday?
Your cycle should stay on track, and I think you're still protected but best be cautious
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
So I took my last active pill on Friday
I then started my 7 day break on Saturday. Then I decided that because of my plans I didn't want a period this week, so I chose to take a pill in the early hours of Sunday morning (at this point about 43 hours have passed since my last pill) to make up for the one 'missed' on Saturday if I were to do it back to back - bearing in mind I didn't actually have to have a pill on Saturday. I then continued taking the pills at my regular time on Sunday onwards.
Am I protected still?
Will my cycle stay on track since I took two pills on the Sunday?

I don't think you are, because you missed that pill on Saturday. It's best to use condoms for the next 7 days whilst you take the pills.
Agree with NOT protected and need to use other protection. You could still experience a bit of spotting or a light period as your hormone levels will have fallen.

The leaflet in each box explains this.
Reply 4
Your cycle should stay on track, and I think you're still protected but best be cautious

Thank you for your reply! I'm relieved to hear that, so should I use protection for the next 7 days after that is it ok to have unprotected sex?

And what do I do when I finish the pack? Should I just take my break at my usual date and basically act like nothing happened?
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
I don't think you are, because you missed that pill on Saturday. It's best to use condoms for the next 7 days whilst you take the pills.

Ahh that's what I was thinking then after 7 days is it safe to have unprotected sex?
And when my break comes can I take it as normal, like I just stop taking pills once the packet runs out and not take any extras?
Reply 6
Thank you for your reply! I'm relieved to hear that, so should I use protection for the next 7 days after that is it ok to have unprotected sex?

And what do I do when I finish the pack? Should I just take my break at my usual date and basically act like nothing happened?

Ahh just seen the other replies and I think I wouldn't be protected, thank you though
Reply 7
Original post by Apachecow
Agree with NOT protected and need to use other protection. You could still experience a bit of spotting or a light period as your hormone levels will have fallen.

The leaflet in each box explains this.

Thankss, yeah I think so too, it's the safer one to assume anyway. I think I will do I have to just use barrier methods for the next 7 days and then unprotected sex is okay?
Yeah I looked at the leaflet but I'm still struggling to understand completely, I mean I was ment to have my break anyway so I was protected then during that time right?
So I suppose the situation is I decided to shorten my break to one day and took an extra pill?
Ahh that's what I was thinking then after 7 days is it safe to have unprotected sex?
And when my break comes can I take it as normal, like I just stop taking pills once the packet runs out and not take any extras?

Yes you'll be protected after 7 days of taking your pill correctly.

Yes, have your break as normal and then start your new pack when the 7 day break ends.
Thankss, yeah I think so too, it's the safer one to assume anyway. I think I will do I have to just use barrier methods for the next 7 days and then unprotected sex is okay?
Yeah I looked at the leaflet but I'm still struggling to understand completely, I mean I was ment to have my break anyway so I was protected then during that time right?
So I suppose the situation is I decided to shorten my break to one day and took an extra pill?

Yes to protected after the 7 days.

Yes you would be protected during your break. Realistically your risk of pregnancy without additional protection is very minimal, but I wouldn't want to take the risk. The safest way to think about this is to assume you are late taking your pill and take precautions accordingly.

If you've already had unprotected sex I don't think you need to worry too much
Original post by DrawTheLine
Yes you'll be protected after 7 days of taking your pill correctly.

Yes, have your break as normal and then start your new pack when the 7 day break ends.

Ah thank you so much for your help! I was worried a lot about what I was supposed to do and reading the leaflet just confused me more 😅 appreciate it!
These days they put so much info in there it can be confusing!
Yes to protected after the 7 days.

Yes you would be protected during your break. Realistically your risk of pregnancy without additional protection is very minimal, but I wouldn't want to take the risk. The safest way to think about this is to assume you are late taking your pill and take precautions accordingly.

If you've already had unprotected sex I don't think you need to worry too much

I really appreciate your help! It's really helped me put my mind to rest! I agree I don't want to risk it and wanna stay away from pregnancy as much as possible so I'd rather just be in the safe side. No I haven't yet so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that haha 😆 again thank you so much for you help!
No bother
These days they put so much info in there it can be confusing!

I know right it's all so confusing! Especially since the never just write it in simple English 😆 I'm glad I came here and found help! Thanks for telling me simply!

Quick Reply

Latest