The Student Room Group

reference letters for UCAS- applying for vetmed

Hey guys!
My adviser told me that the 2 reference letters on UCAS can consist of one academic and one none academic. Would you recommend I put in one reference from my work experience and the other academic ? Or is two academic ones better ? What are you guys putting in?
My course is vet nursing, rather than vet med, but I used one reference from my college tutor and one reference from one of my work experience placements (plus additional references at interviews). I'd recommend one academic reference and one placement reference as it shows a more complete picture of you. Placement is such a big part of veterinary courses so your unis will want to know that you're capable outside of the classroom.
I applied for vet med last year and my references were solely academic. I gained 4 interviews so in the grand scheme of things I don't think it matters too much. I missed my offer for 2019 entry so I'm resitting and reapplying but my references will only be academic this time round as well. I have references from all my placements if the universities require them.
Reply 3
Original post by chloebooth
My course is vet nursing, rather than vet med, but I used one reference from my college tutor and one reference from one of my work experience placements (plus additional references at interviews). I'd recommend one academic reference and one placement reference as it shows a more complete picture of you. Placement is such a big part of veterinary courses so your unis will want to know that you're capable outside of the classroom.

Original post by OrangeArcher
I applied for vet med last year and my references were solely academic. I gained 4 interviews so in the grand scheme of things I don't think it matters too much. I missed my offer for 2019 entry so I'm resitting and reapplying but my references will only be academic this time round as well. I have references from all my placements if the universities require them.

Thanks for your feedback both of you :smile: I think I’m going to stick with my two academic references, I have references from my WE too so it should be fine !
Original post by Vetadele
Thanks for your feedback both of you :smile: I think I’m going to stick with my two academic references, I have references from my WE too so it should be fine !

No problem 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest