emilykat_e
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hoping to go to uni in september 2020 but i am stuck between courses. I was originally going to apply for management but then came across an accounting and finance course and the modules looked really interesting. I'm worried after university that employers would look upon an accounting and finance degree more favourably because management is less 'specific', but i think i'd still enjoy a management degree more based on researching the modules at various universities. any advice is appreciated!!
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by emilykat_e)
Hoping to go to uni in september 2020 but i am stuck between courses. I was originally going to apply for management but then came across an accounting and finance course and the modules looked really interesting. I'm worried after university that employers would look upon an accounting and finance degree more favourably because management is less 'specific', but i think i'd still enjoy a management degree more based on researching the modules at various universities. any advice is appreciated!!
I don't think it makes a lot of difference to employers. Possible benefits of studying A+F:

- exemptions from professional exams
- having some knowledge which might help you find your first job if this is outside of grad schemes, and year in industry placements.

Major benefit of management is that it is far more 'open' and likely to give a broader range of modules so as your interests develop you can focus accordingly.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go to some Open Days and listen to the subject presentations for all these subjects.
These are far more detailed than the snippets in a prospectus, and you have the opportunity to ask questions about 'careers' etc.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To add to the above, its worth letting people know which A levels you are taking, what you like, your target grades and whether there is a particular type of university you are attracted to as there are many courses out there you may not have heard of or considered which could really suit your aspirations.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also its worth looking for joint subject degrees - any of these subjects combined, or with another subject (Law, languages etc), or with Study Abroad or a placement. All adds to your eventual employability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads