Should I bother attempting the ucat with no preparation or should I cancel? Watch

lyfe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So basically I decided I wanted to apply for medicine 2 days before the ucat deadline, I booked my test and had one single time slot to choose from.

My test is on Tuesday. I don't have time to cram because I'm working all day today. Should I just cancel on Monday so it's in time to get a refund? with absolutely zero prep I'm going to do terrible aren't I?

I don't think going ahead with it at this point and the inevitable blow to my confidence is worth it to be honest.

Opinions?
myii
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lyfe)
So basically I decided I wanted to apply for medicine 2 days before the ucat deadline, I booked my test and had one single time slot to choose from.

My test is on Tuesday. I don't have time to cram because I'm working all day today. Should I just cancel on Monday so it's in time to get a refund? with absolutely zero prep I'm going to do terrible aren't I?

I don't think going ahead with it at this point and the inevitable blow to my confidence is worth it to be honest.

Opinions?
i think personally medicine is a career choice where you cannot just decide like so quickly and it needs so much preparations in terms the UCAT, work experience and just the whole application. I mean you can go for it but always bear in mind medicine you gotta prepare for it months or even years before picking the course.

But overall GOOD LUCK ON THE UCAT 🎉🤞 i hope it goes well
mildhan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lyfe)

Opinions?
You could always do the UCAT and see, but having decided so late to apply to medicine, you're unlikely to have done all the other prep needed to actually stand a chance to get into medicine (work experience, volunteering, personal statement). Most students start preparing for about a year before they actually send their application, so even if you get a good UCAT score, you may struggle with personal statement and interviews. Seeing as you've booked it though, you might as well do it and see how it goes.
lyfe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mildhan)
You could always do the UCAT and see, but having decided so late to apply to medicine, you're unlikely to have done all the other prep needed to actually stand a chance to get into medicine (work experience, volunteering, personal statement). Most students start preparing for about a year before they actually send their application, so even if you get a good UCAT score, you may struggle with personal statement and interviews. Seeing as you've booked it though, you might as well do it and see how it goes.
thanks, before deciding on medicine I was going to apply for neuroscience and so have done some work experience in a hospital. I think all the preparation i did for that application is pretty transferable.

I just know literally nothing about the ucat. My main question is on the ucat, and is it actually possible to achieve anything other than complete failure with close to zero prep?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lyfe)
thanks, before deciding on medicine I was going to apply for neuroscience and so have done some work experience in a hospital. I think all the preparation i did for that application is pretty transferable.

I just know literally nothing about the ucat. My main question is on the ucat, and is it actually possible to achieve anything other than complete failure with close to zero prep?
Yeah you may be able to do decent but it sort of depends on you.
Like if you've for whatever reason in the past done questions similar to UCAT ones then it's possible. Also the problem with UCAT is not the questions but the timing for most people, so if you are a quick thinker then you may manage it
mildhan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lyfe)

It’s possible, but practice certainly makes it easier. A lot of schools don’t actually care too much about your UCAT score, you just need to have taken it. So if you don’t do too well on your UCAT, but have really good GCSEs and predicted grades, a university like Exeter might be a good option. To successfully get into medicine you need to apply to schools that’ll recognize your strengths and won’t care too much about your weaknesses. If you think you’ve done all the other prep necessary to apply to medicine, then take the UCAT and see how it goes!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads