The Student Room Group

Prison Vaccinations - Clearance Issues

I’ve recently been offered a position in a prison in the South West of England almost immediately after finishing university. My security clearance and references went fine, but I was flagged up for not having the Hep B and TB vaccination, and Hep C blood tests. I recently had the first Hep B injection and it’ll take 2 further months to complete the immunisation with a booster required in a year. TB isn’t offered where I live even with private healthcare, and the Hep C blood test is just too expensive to get. I’m concerned the job will be retracted as I will not be granted my full clearance, but for the time frame I was given, it was just impossible to move this along any quicker. Any advice?
Have you considered talking to the recruitment team about this? The TB vaccine is available in the UK to those who will be working in 'high-risk' areas. There may be fuding available for these. Definitely talk to the recruiting team, you've got this far through the recruitment process, and the need for prison staff means they may very well consider it.
Reply 2
I’ve tried, they’re giving very little away at the moment. They have just requested I come in for a review but no date yet. Just can’t put my mind at rest, would hate to lose the job due to something fixable!
I expect your situation is quite common unless they usually only recruit medical/nursing students who would have had those vaccinations.
Reply 4
It’s an Assistant Psychologist position so I’ve not been in a job/course that has ever required me to have any vaccinations/blood tests done - I’m assuming that they’re required incase I get bitten or scratched but hopefully will get some clarity!

Quick Reply

Latest