The Student Room Group

Help! Second thoughts in my new job

I’ve wanted to be a vet nurse for the longest time. I’ve finally got a job in the field. I’m currently a patient care assistant and can eventually study for my vet nursing. I’ve only been there two weeks and I’m already having second thoughts. I don’t enjoy the environment and feel cooped up. I also miss working with customers. I don’t feel fulfilled at the end of my shift. It’s making me debate what I want as my career. I know I need to give it more time but still looking for advice !
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't know anything about the vetinary field specifically, but I can suggest a few things for you to consider:

How different is vet nursing from being a patient care assistant, and would the nursing job give you what you are looking for, eg being customer-facing? If not, what are the options for you still working in animal care?

How long will you be in this job before you can study vet nursing? Or will you be studying part-time and still working? Can you stick it out for that amount of time? Is there another related area that you could work in before you qualify as a vet nurse?

I don't expect a detailed answer back from you, but maybe these questions will get you thinking. It might be that you have to look on working in patient care as a means to an end to achieve the goal of vet nurse. Good luck!
Reply 2
Hello!
Thankyou for your reply, it was very helpful.

In terms of the difference in roles vet nursing is more hands on so taking bloods, preparing for ops, monitoring animals and much more. There are customer facing aspect as you can do nurse clinics and consults.

I would most likely be a PCA for two years before be able to study for my vet nursing, I would be willing to stick it out if I knew vet nursing was 100% what I wanted.

I’m trying to gain as much insight as I can into the career. I feel like I’m cooped up all day long In the practice and not able to express myself or engage with anybody.
Reply 3
Do you have much opportunity to shadow other people in this job, to get a bit of variety? Or is there anywhere you could volunteer to work with animals in the meantime, alongside being a PCA? I'm just trying to think of things to make a 2-year wait more palatable.
Reply 4
Unfortunately there’s not much chance to shadow during shifts as I’m not training yet.
Volunteering would be a good idea, I’ve looked into it before and haven’t been as flexible as people would like due to my shifts, but defiantly worth reconsidering thank you for suggesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending