Where can you practice an instrument at uni? Watch

JazzyHamster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Where do people practice music for orchestra/music societies if they are not actually doing a music degree? Is it acceptable to practice in halls (during the day) or do universities have a designated space to do this?
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You’ll piss people off in halls. If your uni has a music school ask there, or maybe the student union has a room available
remussjhj01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It probably depends what you play. If it's an acoustic instrument such as classical guitar or maybe violin and a lot of woodwind instruments, you'll probably be fine in halls as long as you're not practicing super late and it's not too close to exams (if you were doing music you'd have a bit more of an excuse here). I play classical guitar, so it's not too loud. If you play electric guitar and can't plug in headphones to your amp or you play something like trumpet or saxophone, you'll probably be better off finding a practice room. You should be allowed to use them even if you're not a music student, but music students will probably be given priority (especially around exam time as they'll likely have recitals).
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Halls are fine but don't play late at night or early in the morning.
My halls have a music room but I won't need it (classical guitar as well^)
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So long as you don't play at unsociable times or for many hours each day, you'll probably be fine playing in your room.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (129)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.25%
Not great so far... (255)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.82%

Watched Threads