chrisyalamov
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all,

I've just started Year 13 and my mentor wants my personal statement wants by the 27th. I'm normally good at persuasive writing, but this time I'm absolutely lost.

My issue is that so far, I've been so focused on going into Computer Science. Just to provide some context, I've wanted to go into web development ever since I discovered the industry existed. At GCSE, I took CompSci, Art and Business. I did alright in most of them (9 in maths and computer science, but unfortunately a 5 in art for a plethora of reasons).

I then moved onto A-Levels, and took Maths, Computer Science, and Business (which was initially further maths but i dropped out quicker than boris lost his majority in parliament).

I went to quite a few open days, UCAS exhibitions, spoke to tens of people— students, lecturers, people in industry, etc. to try and find out as much as I possibly can about Computer Science. The more information I gathered, the more I realised it just isn't the right degree for me. I then went to an open day at the University of West London and I spoke to this Graphic Design professor. He talked me through the course structure and that was the first time I felt I'd found my degree.

I've found a few courses I'm very interested in, booked open days for them as well, but the issue lies in my personal statement.

First of all, the only academic experience I have with any artistic subject is Art GCSE, where I got a 5. Mediocre at best. That was my lowest grade and while I'm beyond disappointed with it, I feel like it doesn't truly reflect my ability in Graphic Design. Fine Art is very different to the degree I want to study (especially the new 9-1s).

I don't have much relevant work experience, but I do have a wide portfolio that I can present to the university, based off of (mainly) personal projects.

if you have experience applying to creative courses (particularly graphic design w210), do you think I have any real chance of getting into any course? What advice would you give for my personal statement? Also, at what stage would I send off my portfolio— would it be sent along with the personal statement, or would I have to get through that stage first, before they'd want to see any of my work?
AnnieB10
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would be completely honest in your personal statement. Not everyone was born knowing what they wanted to do and unis know that. My HoY told me that you can always talk about work experience and volunteering that you’ve organised and plan to start this year.
The unis could find it flattering that you were so inspired by their open days.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chrisyalamov)
Hi all,

I've just started Year 13 and my mentor wants my personal statement wants by the 27th. I'm normally good at persuasive writing, but this time I'm absolutely lost.

My issue is that so far, I've been so focused on going into Computer Science. Just to provide some context, I've wanted to go into web development ever since I discovered the industry existed. At GCSE, I took CompSci, Art and Business. I did alright in most of them (9 in maths and computer science, but unfortunately a 5 in art for a plethora of reasons).

I then moved onto A-Levels, and took Maths, Computer Science, and Business (which was initially further maths but i dropped out quicker than boris lost his majority in parliament).

I went to quite a few open days, UCAS exhibitions, spoke to tens of people— students, lecturers, people in industry, etc. to try and find out as much as I possibly can about Computer Science. The more information I gathered, the more I realised it just isn't the right degree for me. I then went to an open day at the University of West London and I spoke to this Graphic Design professor. He talked me through the course structure and that was the first time I felt I'd found my degree.

I've found a few courses I'm very interested in, booked open days for them as well, but the issue lies in my personal statement.

First of all, the only academic experience I have with any artistic subject is Art GCSE, where I got a 5. Mediocre at best. That was my lowest grade and while I'm beyond disappointed with it, I feel like it doesn't truly reflect my ability in Graphic Design. Fine Art is very different to the degree I want to study (especially the new 9-1s).

I don't have much relevant work experience, but I do have a wide portfolio that I can present to the university, based off of (mainly) personal projects.

if you have experience applying to creative courses (particularly graphic design w210), do you think I have any real chance of getting into any course? What advice would you give for my personal statement? Also, at what stage would I send off my portfolio— would it be sent along with the personal statement, or would I have to get through that stage first, before they'd want to see any of my work?
Make sure that your PS mentions that you have a portfolio of work. Other than that it doesn’t matter that you don’t have creative A levels.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...design-courses Has some ideas and suggestions for things to talk about in a design PS
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Above poster is absolutely right. The main thing the creative degrees are interested in is your portfolio. They like work to be recent and you usually present it at interview.
Re personal statement just talk about why you want to do graphic design including how you came to this decision. Plus do not stress too much. Your actual deadline is not until start of Jan so just produce something it can always be altered later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads