bamboostick123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
so basically, im in year 12, so I just started my a levels. I have an older brother you finished his a levels last year and he done really well (4 a* and doing economics at Cambridge). My dad is one of those elitist people that believe that a person is defined by the type of grades they get, how much they can lift at the gym and the uni they go. My dad keeps comparing my brother to me in every way possible: he makes us wake up in the morning at 5 am to run for 45 minutes and go gym after, he compares the amount of weight we can lift at the gym ( my brother is older than me so obviously he'd be able to lift more and every time I get a new pr, he'd call it pathetic), he compare our gcse grades (I got 10 9s and 3 8s whereas my bro got 8 9s and 2 8s) which I find weird because I got my gcse results at the same time as my bro got his a levels ( one week difference but that's not the point) and my brother got sick in his a levels but my dad isn't focusing on how well he done but decides to compares his gcses to mine ( he does the same thing to me, compare my brothers a levels to what he "predicts" that im going to get, A*AA according to him) . Theres more stuff that he does, but the point is that he tries to make me feel jealous for other people's success and completely disregarded all the good things that I achieved and its really starting to pi'' me off. IK that he's trying to prepare me for the real world and all that nice stuff, but I think he's being a bit extreme and every time I try talk to him about it, he shouts at me for not being grateful. My mother isn't any help either as she believes that fathers are suppose to be tough on their sons inorder for them to grow up and be "real me," but waking up in the morning at 5 to go for a run seems a bit extra to me. Any advise would be highly appreciated cuz im seriously considering moving out and dropping school so I can work and provide for myself.
sedentary
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Jesus Christ I actually feel awful for you. That's horrible I don't think I could even deal with that. Honestly if you can get out of that situation asap, it's not good for your own mental wellbeing. Do what you want to do, not what others want you to do
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lmao my dad doesn’t even know what university I go to. Well in a year or two , if you do decide to go uni, definitely take that chance to move out and apply to unis that are far away.
bamboostick123
Rep:
?
(Original post by sedentary)
Jesus Christ I actually feel awful for you. That's horrible I don't think I could even deal with that. Honestly if you can get out of that situation asap, it's not good for your own mental wellbeing. Do what you want to do, not what others want you to do
ngl it's actually driving me mental, I basically had no childhood, I would play console games to have a little bit of fun, but my father would always break them ( my mum kept buying them for me cuz of school/ sports achievements). Idk how i should deal with this situations cuz I want to leave, but I also want a good future like my bro. If I leave, I would have to work which would affect my eduction, but if I stay, im pretty sure ill go crazy.
bamboostick123
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
Lmao my dad doesn’t even know what university I go to. Well in a year or two , if you do decide to go uni, definitely take that chance to move out and apply to unis that are far away.
I'd rather my dad not give a sh'' about me. I'm thinking about going to the states.
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bamboostick123)
I'd rather my dad not give a sh'' about me. I'm thinking about going to the states.
Yeah. I was saying it in a good way that my dad doesn’t know. My parents don’t really ask me about my outside of home things, and I’m so glad 😂. Just make sure you do some research before you leave to the states lmao. There’s loads of good opportunities here that you can move out for
sedentary
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you could also get an apprenticeship or something which earns you money, but that's not for everyone obviously
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wait you said your brother did all 9-1 GCSE’s but the first cohort that did them are still in year 13, so your story sounds a bit dodgy tbh
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
That's crazy. But understand this, he does this all for the betterment of yourself. At its core, this is his way of trying to solidify you a better and successful future (as he cares a lot about you). This is his way of doing it, regardless of how tough it may be.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hang on... Aren't your GCSEs better than his? Why's your dad predicting you worse A levels than your brother, when your GCSEs are better?

And I doubt it's to do with your performance at the gym lol. If anything, there's an inverse relationship there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads