entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
a pendulum of length 6cm follows the arc of a circle.
its straight line displacement as a vector is given by d = 6sinΘ i + 6(1-cosΘ) j
show that the magnitude of the displacement is 6√(2(1-cosΘ))

so i've converted 6sinΘ and 6(1-1-(1/2)Θ2), which altogether became 6Θ - (1/2)Θ2 ; to then find the magnitude i did √(6Θ)2 - √(1/2Θ2)2 but then i just end up w the equation i first started with so i feel like i'm going in circles- any advice on what i should be doing?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
a pendulum of length 6cm follows the arc of a circle.
its straight line displacement as a vector is given by d = 6sinΘ i + 6(1-cosΘ) j
show that the magnitude of the displacement is 6√(2(1-cosΘ))

so i've converted 6sinΘ and 6(1-1-(1/2)Θ2), which altogether became 6Θ - (1/2)Θ2 ; to then find the magnitude i did √(6Θ)2 - √(1/2Θ2)2 but then i just end up w the equation i first started with so i feel like i'm going in circles- any advice on what i should be doing?
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here, it seems unjustified to even start using small angle approximations when you don't even know that \theta is small, but the question simply asks for the magnitude of the displacement vector \mathbf{d}.

This is the same as simply showing |\mathbf{d}| = 6\sqrt{2(1-\cos \theta)} with no small angle approximations required.
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
is this a level maths? if so what topic
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here, it seems unjustified to even start using small angle approximations when you don't even know that \theta is small, but the question simply asks for the magnitude of the displacement vector \mathbf{d}.

This is the same as simply showing |\mathbf{d}| = 6\sqrt{2(1-\cos \theta)} with no small angle approximations required.
ah, i see; completely forgot about sin2x +cos2x =1
ok so i got √(36sin2Θ + 36 -36cos2Θ)
then √(36sin2Θ + 36 - 36(1-sin2Θ))
√(36sin2Θ + 36 - 36 + 36sin2Θ)
= √(72sin2Θ)
6√(2sin2Θ)
6√(2(1-cos2Θ))
though i know 2 cannot be rooted any further, why is there still a root over cosΘ in the equation that i'm meant to reach as my final answer as i thought you could cos2Θ down to cosΘ?
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
is this a level maths? if so what topic
yeah a level- part of a question on topic small degree approximations.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ah, i see; completely forgot about sin2x +cos2x =1
ok so i got √(36sin2Θ + 36 -36cos2Θ)
I understand that 36\sin^2 \theta comes from squaring the i component, which means

36-36\cos^2 \theta comes from squaring 6(1-\cos \theta) ... which is wrong, and you made a rookie error by assuming that (a-b)^2 = a^2 - b^2 I'm afraid

Can you amend it?
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
I understand that 36\sin^2 \theta comes from squaring the i component, which means

36-36\cos^2 \theta comes from squaring 6(1-\cos \theta) ... which is wrong, and you made a rookie error by assuming that (a-b)^2 = a^2 - b^2 I'm afraid

Can you amend it?
actually tragic how i'm still making stupid errors:lol:
expanded the bracket, managed to get some long ass equation where the 36cos2Θs cancelled out, so i was left with √72-72cosΘ which i then cancelled down to 6√2(1-cosΘ) which is what i'm meant to reach
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
actually tragic how i'm still making stupid errors:lol:
expanded the bracket, managed to get some long ass equation where the 36cos2Θs cancelled out, so i was left with √72-72cosΘ which i then cancelled down to 6√2(1-cosΘ) which is what i'm meant to reach
Yep, and you could've also kept a factor of 6 out of your working out entirely.

Since \mathbf{d} = 6\sin \theta \mathbf{i} + 6(1-\cos \theta) \mathbf{j} you can factor 6 out to get

\mathbf{d} = 6[\sin \theta \mathbf{i} + (1-\cos \theta) \mathbf{j}] = 6\mathbf{a}

where \mathbf{a} is just the vector \sin \theta \mathbf{i} + (1-\cos \theta) \mathbf{j}.

So then |\mathbf{d}| is simply |6\mathbf{a}|, which simplifies to |6||\mathbf{a}| = 6|\mathbf{a}|,

I.e. |\mathbf{d}| = 6 \sqrt{\sin^2 \theta + (1-\cos\theta)^2} and simplify the inside of the square root down with simpler coefficients.
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Yep, and you could've also kept a factor of 6 out of your working out entirely.

Since \mathbf{d} = 6\sin \theta \mathbf{i} + 6(1-\cos \theta) \mathbf{j} you can factor 6 out to get

\mathbf{d} = 6[\sin \theta \mathbf{i} + (1-\cos \theta) \mathbf{j}] = 6\mathbf{a}

where \mathbf{a} is just the vector \sin \theta \mathbf{i} + (1-\cos \theta) \mathbf{j}.

So then |\mathbf{d}| is simply |6\mathbf{a}|, which simplifies to |6||\mathbf{a}| = 6|\mathbf{a}|,

I.e. |\mathbf{d}| = 6 \sqrt{\sin^2 \theta + (1-\cos\theta)^2} and simplify the inside of the square root down with simpler coefficients.
oh i didn't consider that! thank you
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
oh i didn't consider that! thank you
Also, (and I suspect this might relate to the next part of the question), knowing that 2 sin^2(x/2) = 1 - cos x means you can get often get rid of the square root (although strictly speaking, \sqrt{\sin^2(x/2)} = |\sin(x/2)|, so some care is needed regarding the modulus signs).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads