louisemusic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Good afternoon

I'm waiting to study either at masters or undergraduate level next year. (I already have a degree and am now wanting to retrain in a health related subject).

I've had it confirmed that i can apply for tuition fees and all other loans and grants etc. However, my husband works full time earning between £26000 and £32000 a year and i know that everything apart from tuition fees is means tested.

Does anyone have any idea what i might get? Unfortunately its the only thing stopping me from applying as i would be giving up full time employment to study for 2/3 years. Do i just submit an application and see what i get offered?

Any advice would be appreciated.

😊
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by louisemusic)
Good afternoon

I'm waiting to study either at masters or undergraduate level next year. (I already have a degree and am now wanting to retrain in a health related subject).

I've had it confirmed that i can apply for tuition fees and all other loans and grants etc. However, my husband works full time earning between £26000 and £32000 a year and i know that everything apart from tuition fees is means tested.

Does anyone have any idea what i might get? Unfortunately its the only thing stopping me from applying as i would be giving up full time employment to study for 2/3 years. Do i just submit an application and see what i get offered?

😊
There’s a calculator on the student finance website that will show you roughly how much of a loan they would give you, I think your household income is too high for the full loan but it would get you most of it I think but yeah go online and check
louisemusic
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilybond:))
There’s a calculator on the student finance website that will show you roughly how much of a loan they would give you, I think your household income is too high for the full loan but it would get you most of it I think but yeah go online and check
I have done that but it was a bit vague. Just wondered if anyone had got any experience.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good afternoon

😊
it ll depend on whether he is at the lower end of higher end of that , masters loan won't make a difference but undergrad could be between £6300-£6900 maintenance off of this years amounts so could be a little higher. you ll get 25% of your council tax and might be able to take a payment holiday if you have a mortgage, two people off that income is certainly doable ( my husband and i have a similar household income to that)
louisemusic
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
it ll depend on whether he is at the lower end of higher end of that , masters loan won't make a difference but undergrad could be between £6300-£6900 maintenance off of this years amounts so could be a little higher. you ll get 25% of your council tax and might be able to take a payment holiday if you have a mortgage, two people off that income is certainly doable ( my husband and i have a similar household income to that)
I have a daughter as well and a few debts to consider. Just trying to weigh up whether i should delay for a couple of years...
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have a daughter as well and a few debts to consider. Just trying to weigh up whether i should delay for a couple of years...
moneysavingexpert is a good forum to ask for advice on your debts, it's up to you what your and your husband think you can give up financially and be happy with though.
louisemusic
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
moneysavingexpert is a good forum to ask for advice on your debts, it's up to you what your and your husband think you can give up financially and be happy with though.
That is the deciding factor unfortunately
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads