beefboss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thoughts on this?

I have a 1st class degree in physics and an MSc in nuclear engineering. Both have been pretty useless. Part of that is my fault because I have social anxiety and get nervous in interviews. Also there are too few jobs in nuclear and too much competition.

Anyway I am thinking of doing another masters in GIS and hydrography since it will be much easier to get a job.

I'm debating if I should remove my other MSc from my cv or just go with the flow and tell interviewers it didn't work out.
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No. You’ll need to explain the missing year somehow. Having the ambition to do another masters makes you look good because it evidences your desire to work hard and work towards your goals. Good luck 😉
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by beefboss)
Thoughts on this?

I have a 1st class degree in physics and an MSc in nuclear engineering. Both have been pretty useless. Part of that is my fault because I have social anxiety and get nervous in interviews. Also there are too few jobs in nuclear and too much competition.

Anyway I am thinking of doing another masters in GIS and hydrography since it will be much easier to get a job.

I'm debating if I should remove my other MSc from my cv or just go with the flow and tell interviewers it didn't work out.
If you believe your main problem is getting nervous at interviews, then it's very unlikely that a second master's degree would help with that. If you remove your previous MSc from your CV (I don't know why that would be a good idea), then you'd need to explain what you were doing in that year if asked - lying is not worth it.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by beefboss)
Thoughts on this?

Your logic is nonsense and very expensive! There's nothing wrong per se with the degrees you've got so far, you as an individual just aren't performing well at interviews (from what you've told us). You can't just go on collecting degrees hoping your interview performance will improve. Nowhere is 'easy' to get a job if you tank interviews. You need to sort out your confidence and interview performance.

Pay about 10% of what a degree would cost, and get some interview/confidence training.
Last edited by threeportdrift; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads