Is it possible to do well at A level with depression and anxiety?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Title
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Title
This question is impossible to answer. Everyone's circumstances are different.
coffeeneeded27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was severely depressed and had an anxiety and panic disorder during a levels, for which I was on meds and in therapy. I was predicted A*A*A and would have got this (it's also what I actually did get in my mocks) had I not fallen head first down a flight of stairs getting a concussion, dislodged spinal disc and broken leg and ankle the day before my first exam meaning I only got AAB.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I had anxiety and during exam season it was the worst ever but I still got the grades I wanted (ABC)
Anonymous #1
I’m depressed due to incurable health issues affecting my grades and due to bullying, and I also had a panic attack in class during AS and my insides felt like they were burning and I was bleeding inside (spotting). I thought it was period but it wasn’t, it was just random and happened because my heart was beating dangerously fast. I didn’t do badly at AS despite thinking I was going to fail everything and made it to A2 but I was wondering whether severe depression and anxiety would affect it. Depression makes me not bother to do things, and anxiety makes me want to do things because I am scared of failure. I (and many other people) have both so I guess I can still do it and will still be motivated to achieve.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well are you getting support for your mental health?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
Well are you getting support for your mental health?
No I don’t feel like therapy or medication would help here. I don’t like talking about my feelings and makes me emotional sometimes. I would prefer sitting on my own and doing the work. My teachers are aware that I am not well and would understand if I am always down. Hopefully if I do get decent grades I will be proud of myself and find a reason to be happy again.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No I don’t feel like therapy or medication would help here. I don’t like talking about my feelings and makes me emotional sometimes. I would prefer sitting on my own and doing the work. My teachers are aware that I am not well and would understand if I am always down. Hopefully if I do get decent grades I will be proud of myself and find a reason to be happy again.
I mean I understand your logic, but not getting help for a mental health condition only serves to make things worse usually. It's natural to feel emotional when you're discussing stressful or emotional things, but don't axe getting help from your mind if that's the only reason.

You can still do work and get help. Like they're not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, good luck. Severe depression and anxiety is horrible to contend with.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
I mean I understand your logic, but not getting help for a mental health condition only serves to make things worse usually. It's natural to feel emotional when you're discussing stressful or emotional things, but don't axe getting help from your mind if that's the only reason.

You can still do work and get help. Like they're not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, good luck. Severe depression and anxiety is horrible to contend with.
I know, and usually I prefer taking medication but if you start taking antidepressants, you generally have to rely on them your whole life (or majority of your life) and it’s not safe coming off them because it can lead to mood changes. Medication also has side effects and I can’t deal with that at this stressful time of my life.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know, and usually I prefer taking medication but if you start taking antidepressants, you generally have to rely on them your whole life (or majority of your life) and it’s not safe coming off them because it can lead to mood changes. Medication also has side effects and I can’t deal with that at this stressful time of my life.
I mean, you don't have to take medication if you don't want to and that's something that's worrying you. I don't (currently) take medication for my mental health issues and my psychiatrist doesn't push me to.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not true at all, you can come of them quite safely under the guidance of a GP (slowly decreasing the dose) and dont have to go on them in the first place if you dont want to.
To answer your question it is more than possible but you have to be willing to put the work in same with any other student. Whilst i understand it is hard to find motivation with depression you have to kind of galvanise yourself and do it anyway. This is one of the strategies taught in therapy, doing things you dont want to do but have to do anyway, it's called opposite action.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Not true at all, you can come of them quite safely under the guidance of a GP (slowly decreasing the dose) and dont have to go on them in the first place if you dont want to.
To answer your question it is more than possible but you have to be willing to put the work in same with any other student. Whilst i understand it is hard to find motivation with depression you have to kind of galvanise yourself and do it anyway. This is one of the strategies taught in therapy, doing things you dont want to do but have to do anyway, it's called opposite action.
Was just about to tag you in this as an inspirational example. :hugs:
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 year ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Title
Yes but it in spite of not because of.
If you have either then you owe it to yourself and your studies to put all effort into sorting it out.
harrietcoppard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it is possible..I had awful mental health but out your head down, shut out the darkness and use the study to get u through..it works!! I was severely depressed anxious bullied bulimic suicidal..I got three a grades because I was ****ing determined..if you want to do it you can....your head can be messed up but you can still achueac..I'm now a thirty teight yrvold teacher with still severe mental health issues..but you can't let it stop life... believe you can dobit!! I . always happy to help you and keep you going!! Xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.15%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
28.19%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (98)
37.84%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.36%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.47%

Watched Threads