hxhu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I really want to do GCSE Graphics as I am intrested in graphic design using illustrator, photoshop, etc...
However, I have a few questions about the course.
How much drawing is compulsory? (I'm very bad at drawing)
What do you draw in this course?
What is the course like?
How much coursework do you do?
THE-BLACK-CAT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey I did art and design (not graphic specifically ) but I think I can still help you
1) you do need to have some reasonable drawing skills to communicate what your trying to show and your idea .it's ok if you skills aren't great at the moment . Mine weren't as well in the beginning but as the course goes by you begin to learn and improve naturally. Its ok if it's not great in the beginning! Your just learning as long as your drawing communicates your idea somewhat it's all good.
2) what you draw in the course is all dependant on what your project is . For example if your project title is "natural forms " your probably going to draw like leaves and trees . At the beginning of the course it will be quite structured with the teachers telling you what to draw but as your process in to like year 10/11 you have alot more freedom what you want to do and what you draw . Say you are not good at drawing faces (I'm not !) You don't have to do that . Its in you control what you want to draw.
3) I can't say exactly what your course would have but it will probably be very similar to what I did. In the beginning the teacher chooses a theme and helps you though the project . Like what to do next ect . At the same time your improving your skills in like drawing and printing . As the course progresses you will be more independent in how you want the project to go and what you do . All this will last till the beginning of year 11 and will all be part of your course work . ( The best projects only though from what you have done so far !) . For aqa this course work is worth 50% from what I remember
At the end of year 11 the exam board will send a bunch of titles / themes for you to pick for your last and final exam project. The final piece for this project will be done in exam conditions for 10 hours ( 5 hours each day ) it seems a long time but if you really enjoy art you will have a blast of a time (I know I did lol )

How many course work you do ? Humm I did 5 in total . 6 if you include my final exam project . But it might be different for you .

Hope all this information helps !! I really want you to do graphics ! . Its so fun . Its what I pan on going into
Last edited by THE-BLACK-CAT; 3 weeks ago
hxhu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by THE-BLACK-CAT)
Hey I did art and design (not graphic specifically ) but I think I can still help you
1) you do need to have some reasonable drawing skills to communicate what your trying to show and your idea .it's ok if you skills aren't great at the moment . Mine weren't as well in the beginning but as the course goes by you begin to learn and improve naturally. Its ok if it's not great in the beginning! Your just learning as long as your drawing communicates your idea somewhat it's all good.
2) what you draw in the course is all dependant on what your project is . For example if your project title is "natural forms " your probably going to draw like leaves and trees . At the beginning of the course it will be quite structured with the teachers telling you what to draw but as your process in to like year 10/11 you have alot more freedom what you want to do and what you draw . Say you are not good at drawing faces (I'm not !) You don't have to do that . Its in you control what you want to draw.
3) I can't say exactly what your course would have but it will probably be very similar to what I did. In the beginning the teacher chooses a theme and helps you though the project . Like what to do next ect . At the same time your improving your skills in like drawing and printing . As the course progresses you will be more independent in how you want the project to go and what you do . All this will last till the beginning of year 11 and will all be part of your course work . ( The best projects only though from what you have done so far !) . For aqa this course work is worth 50% from what I remember
At the end of year 11 the exam board will send a bunch of titles / themes for you to pick for your last and final exam project. The final piece for this project will be done in exam conditions for 10 hours ( 5 hours each day ) it seems a long time but if you really enjoy art you will have a blast of a time (I know I did lol )

How many course work you do ? Humm I did 5 in total . 6 if you include my final exam project . But it might be different for you .

Hope all this information helps !! I really want you to do graphics ! . Its so fun . Its what I pan on going into
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads