Armed Forces BRTC, Fitness Tests & Kit Lists Watch

Lumarsh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Guys if anyone needs any help and are at the start of their military career, feel free to ask as iv been in the Armed Forces for a few months now!
Last edited by Lumarsh; 3 weeks ago
Dazthebaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Message me if needed. My messages keep going weird on here
Last edited by Dazthebaz; 3 weeks ago
RAFlife5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lumarsh)
Guys if anyone needs any help and are at the start of their military career, feel free to ask as iv been in the Armed Forces for a few months now!
My BRTC is in janruary. Would you reccomend getting all the kit on the kit lists as I want to start getting it now as there is so much stuff!!! Also Iv heard the iron and stuff are really important any brands you would recconend. Any help is appreciated
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dazthebaz)
As you may or may not know, getting a good iron and ironing board is crucial.
I got a £10 iron from Tesco before IOT. It lasted 11 years.

You don't have to spend a fortune.
RAFlife5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Iv read to steer clear from those iron due to the large amount of ironing experienced during basic training. The steamier the better apprently?
pixypearl
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That Is very true steer clear of a cheap £10 iron. All the instructors bang on about getting yourself a decent iron. The people that spent £10 on an iron, as soon as they got paid they bought a new iron anyway.

(Original post by RAFlife5)
Iv read to steer clear from those iron due to the large amount of ironing experienced during basic training. The steamier the better apprently?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you're breaking an iron that quickly, chances are you're doing it wrong.

Were there guys on my intake who spent a lot of money on irons? Sure.
Did they iron anything better than my considerably cheaper iron? Nope.

If you want to go and buy an expensive one, fine. But don't feel like you have to. Mine lasted all the way through IOT (over 3x longer than RTC...) and beyond. A cheaper iron does not mean a rubbish one.
pixypearl
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
If you're breaking an iron that quickly, chances are you're doing it wrong.

Were there guys on my intake who spent a lot of money on irons? Sure.
Did they iron anything better than my considerably cheaper iron? Nope.

If you want to go and buy an expensive one, fine. But don't feel like you have to. Mine lasted all the way through IOT (over 3x longer than RTC...) and beyond. A cheaper iron does not mean a rubbish one.
I never said anything about the iron being broken? Most of the people with a cheap iron not only were getting to bed later but the results were not as good that's a fact. Having an iron with decent amounts of steam is essential, I'm sure many instructors will also say that, along with recruits that have been through recently rather than 11 years ago. Im also sure that an iron 11 years ago will differ from the cost of an iron today.
Mechincalman
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I completely agree. Having an iron and a ironing board is important.

(Original post by pixypearl)
I never said anything about the iron being broken? Most of the people with a cheap iron not only were getting to bed later but the results were not as good that's a fact. Having an iron with decent amounts of steam is essential, I'm sure many instructors will also say that, along with recruits that have been through recently rather than 11 years ago. Im also sure that an iron 11 years ago will differ from the cost of an iron today.
Lumarsh
Rep:
?
Yes a good iron without a doubt will make your life easier. You are using the thing every single day, I would think about spending some good money on it
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by pixypearl)
These days? £15-20 for a steam iron. It'll more than do the job. Get on Amazon, look at reviews if you must, but if you're spending more than £50 you need your head looking at.

And, just so you know, it's the water that'll mess it up. Limescale build up. Buy bottled water.
Lumarsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
These days? £15-20 for a steam iron. It'll more than do the job. Get on Amazon, look at reviews if you must, but if you're spending more than £50 you need your head looking at.

And, just so you know, it's the water that'll mess it up. Limescale build up. Buy bottled water.
I would aim look to spend between £20-£40 on an iron. There was a few that did exceed the £50 mark on my course (I wouldn't really recommend either)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (26)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
15.97%
It might lead to more bullying (97)
36.88%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.04%

Watched Threads

Latest