I can’t do my first essay! I’m scared of plagiarism!

Watch
Carmelvw99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just started my course and have been given my first essay deadline. I’m petrified to say the least! I’ve been out of education for a year years and I can’t get my head round essay writing! I’ve googled and watched so many YouTube videos. I’m freaking out massively. I’m scared that I will be done for plagiarism as I’m struggling to put things in my own words and don’t get me started on referencing. Please help what do I do?
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As long as you reference your sources you won’t be accused of plagiarism. Just make sure you reference the sources you use and don’t copy content or ideas without crediting authors. Many unis do referencing guides which are quite accessible, too.
Emily_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll definitely get done for plagiarism if you don't put things into your own words and can't reference. Therefore, I'm going to suggest:
1. Make an appointment to talk to your lecturer or academic tutor about such issues.
2. Your uni will probably have a study skills department. Go to see them, they will be able to help with this.
3. Go to the uni library and ask the librarians for help with whichever referencing system your uni uses, they tend to be pretty good at this.
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First essay at uni - been there!

I started studying at 46, years after leaving school. The post above says it all really, apart from getting a book. This one is great:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reference-P...+right+&sr=8-9

Good luck 😉
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (605)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.89%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (354)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads