housing advice - not in the contract? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am going into my 3rd year of uni and I lived in a student house in my 2nd year. We signed to extend the contract for another year, however, I have fallen out with the housemates and I have now found a replacement for my room.

I was going to look for a new room but I now have an opportunity to live at my friends' house as they have a spare bedroom - but I will not be in the contract for that house. Basically they have a 5 bed house that they are renting as a group of 4. They said they can just let me live in that spare room and we will divide the rent by 5 so I pay my share. As the house is let as a 4 bed, there is no way they could sign a new contract and include me in it.

It all works out perfectly for me and I am not worried about the agency finding out (it is a private landlord who doesn't care as long as he gets his money so it's literally chill). What worries me is that I will have no proof of address = on paper I will not have a permanent address. Is that something that I should worry about? My bank account and all other important stuff is registered back at my home address, and I've never needed a proof of address for anything else whilst at uni. I am registered with a GP and I am pretty sure if I don't let them know I've moved out, I should be fine.

I am still worried though just in case there is something I am missing that could get me in trouble?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am going into my 3rd year of uni and I lived in a student house in my 2nd year. We signed to extend the contract for another year, however, I have fallen out with the housemates and I have now found a replacement for my room.

I was going to look for a new room but I now have an opportunity to live at my friends' house as they have a spare bedroom - but I will not be in the contract for that house. Basically they have a 5 bed house that they are renting as a group of 4. They said they can just let me live in that spare room and we will divide the rent by 5 so I pay my share. As the house is let as a 4 bed, there is no way they could sign a new contract and include me in it.

It all works out perfectly for me and I am not worried about the agency finding out (it is a private landlord who doesn't care as long as he gets his money so it's literally chill). What worries me is that I will have no proof of address = on paper I will not have a permanent address. Is that something that I should worry about? My bank account and all other important stuff is registered back at my home address, and I've never needed a proof of address for anything else whilst at uni. I am registered with a GP and I am pretty sure if I don't let them know I've moved out, I should be fine.

I am still worried though just in case there is something I am missing that could get me in trouble?
I cant think of any.
I assume you are a UK passport holder?

Things about residence are usually visa related. You can use your parents address as your main proof.
As long as you pay the rent, then I cant think of any other thing. You can still use that address for the uni or other things because they wont demand to see your tenancy. No CT issues, Maybe census, but you dont have to prove you are on the tenancy.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I cant think of any.
I assume you are a UK passport holder?

Things about residence are usually visa related. You can use your parents address as your main proof.
As long as you pay the rent, then I cant think of any other thing. You can still use that address for the uni or other things because they wont demand to see your tenancy. No CT issues, Maybe census, but you dont have to prove you are on the tenancy.
not a UK passport holder but I am from the EU, have lived here for years, count as a home student and on permanent residency! So no visa needed

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads