What is the difference between Dental hygienist and Dental hygienist with therapy?

Watch this thread
Nursss
Badges: 8
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to know whats the difference between these two courses, does one only focus on hygiene of the teeth and the other on hygiene and therapy?
Which one is a better option to study and how much more wold i earn from it?
TheMolarBear
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi there,
The NHS website has a pretty good comparison tool of the differences between a hygienist and a therapist:
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...es-dental-team
The GDC website also has a scope of practice document which outlines it. A therapist provides restorative care for teeth as well as the hygiene part, is the most basic way to look at it.

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in salaries whether you're doing hygiene or therapy. But therapy is evolving and becoming a bigger part of general dentistry so hopefully there will be increasingly more good dental therapist jobs in the coming years. Most uni courses now are dual hygiene and therapy, there aren't too many hygiene only ones now.

I hope that answers your question! I work as a hygiene therapist at the moment in NHS practice.
Nursss
(Original post by TheMolarBear)
Hi there,
The NHS website has a pretty good comparison tool of the differences between a hygienist and a therapist:
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...es-dental-team
The GDC website also has a scope of practice document which outlines it. A therapist provides restorative care for teeth as well as the hygiene part, is the most basic way to look at it.

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in salaries whether you're doing hygiene or therapy. But therapy is evolving and becoming a bigger part of general dentistry so hopefully there will be increasingly more good dental therapist jobs in the coming years. Most uni courses now are dual hygiene and therapy, there aren't too many hygiene only ones now.

I hope that answers your question! I work as a hygiene therapist at the moment in NHS practice.
Thank you so much for the reply, can i ask what you studied in college and what university did you go to? Also is it better to work in NHS with being a dental hygienist or working in a private place, would that be harder
TheMolarBear
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nursss)
Thank you so much for the reply, can i ask what you studied in college and what university did you go to? Also is it better to work in NHS with being a dental hygienist or working in a private place, would that be harder
If you mean my A levels(?) i did Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and General Studies. I also did AS level Maths. Then I went to the University of Edinburgh to study Oral Health Sciences.
It depends what you mean by better! I can't speak for the whole country as it's very different from place to place but I'm in Northern England. There aren't many NHS jobs but i do enjoy doing NHS therapy work - I like having a variety of treatments through the day and enjoy restorative work most. I mainly work as a therapist spend most of my day doing fillings but with a mix of some hygiene work too. Working privately is definitely more common here and majority of my DHT friends are private rather than NHS. The wages are higher and you have more time for your appointments (mostly! not necessarily always!). Saying that, I work in NHS practice and love the variety and experience that i get. There doesn't seem to be much pay difference between hygiene and therapy whether private or NHS but a lot of jobs do seem to like the dual qualification now. Private hygiene jobs seem to be the most common ones that come up. You can also work for the NHS in the community and hospital environment which I'm afraid I don't know much about. Hope that helps!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Dental Therapy involves many of the procedures that Dentists do - at Bristol the DHT and Dentistry students share some classes for this reason. The salary prospects are good, especially in private practice - https://www.tempdent.co.uk/jobs/dent...therapist-jobs
ArghhhNo
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hygienist services are commonly becoming a private only treatment, private is always going to pay more but as a therapist you have more scope of practice.
Nursss
(Original post by ArghhhNo)
Hygienist services are commonly becoming a private only treatment, private is always going to pay more but as a therapist you have more scope of practice.
Do you think it’s better to do a degree on both dental hygiene and therapy
ArghhhNo
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Do you think it’s better to do a degree on both dental hygiene and therapy
A degree or diploma pays the same, now employer asked which qualification you hold.
You won’t find many providers of JUST hygiene, I would definitely recommend the dual qual as it’s a boarder scope of practice and more interesting
Nursss
(Original post by ArghhhNo)
A degree or diploma pays the same, now employer asked which qualification you hold.
You won’t find many providers of JUST hygiene, I would definitely recommend the dual qual as it’s a boarder scope of practice and more interesting
I’ve read in placed that DHDT is a useless course that unis provide just to get money from students. They say that it’s not worth 3 years and alot of debt (paying £9,250 every year) do you think it’s worth it? Personally i would like to do it but this just made me sad
ArghhhNo
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I’ve read in placed that DHDT is a useless course that unis provide just to get money from students. They say that it’s not worth 3 years and alot of debt (paying £9,250 every year) do you think it’s worth it? Personally i would like to do it but this just made me sad
It’s very competitive course, I think 🤔 where ever that has been applied either don’t know the industry or trying to de value the the course.
Never heard anyone in that job ever say that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (80)
19%
The paper was reasonable (158)
37.53%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.79%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.68%

Watched Threads