The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do with my life

I'm 19, I struggle with anxiety and it's always been hard making friends and just talking to people in general. Always preferred being on my own. I used to take BTEC Level 3 Art and Design in college which was really tough for me and in my second year I just couldn't take it anymore and dropped out. Always felt like my work wasn't good, my college was in central London and an hour and a half away from where I live and I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. I wasn't eating either so I was tired all the time and became underweight.

I dropped out when I was 17 in November 2017. The college was worried and really nice, they said I should get some help and I could come back next year to complete my course, but I didn't want to. So, the next year I applied for Creative Media BTEC Level 3. I didn't get any help during that time, I was just on a waiting list but I felt ready and like I was better but everything just kinda went downhill and I ended up dropping out again. I told them I'm fine and I'll apply for apprenticeships. They didn't want me to leave because they didn't think it was a good idea (and they were right) but I couldn't deal with it anymore. My anxiety was making me aggressive and paranoid so I didn't want to be around people, I was also 18 and most of the others were 16 and I'm awkward anyway I just avoided them most of the time, although they were all lovely.

I see a therapist now and he says he thinks I have Aspergers but I haven't been diagnosed. My home situation isn't the best, I don't get along with my family much and I don't have a room, I sleep in the living room. I also don't leave my house often so I'm on my pc in the living room most of my time. I've tried applying to apprenticeships and jobs but nothing. I'd love to move out but of course, I can't do that right now. However, I did finish secondary school with 1 A* 4 As 2 Bs and 2 Cs, not the best but I'm happy I've got GCSEs.
If there's any advice it'd be appreciated. Anything at all, places I could volunteer to get me started or something that you found useful, I'm just really desperate at this point.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 19, I struggle with anxiety and it's always been hard making friends and just talking to people in general. Always preferred being on my own. I used to take BTEC Level 3 Art and Design in college which was really tough for me and in my second year I just couldn't take it anymore and dropped out. Always felt like my work wasn't good, my college was in central London and an hour and a half away from where I live and I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. I wasn't eating either so I was tired all the time and became underweight.

I dropped out when I was 17 in November 2017. The college was worried and really nice, they said I should get some help and I could come back next year to complete my course, but I didn't want to. So, the next year I applied for Creative Media BTEC Level 3. I didn't get any help during that time, I was just on a waiting list but I felt ready and like I was better but everything just kinda went downhill and I ended up dropping out again. I told them I'm fine and I'll apply for apprenticeships. They didn't want me to leave because they didn't think it was a good idea (and they were right) but I couldn't deal with it anymore. My anxiety was making me aggressive and paranoid so I didn't want to be around people, I was also 18 and most of the others were 16 and I'm awkward anyway I just avoided them most of the time, although they were all lovely.

I see a therapist now and he says he thinks I have Aspergers but I haven't been diagnosed. My home situation isn't the best, I don't get along with my family much and I don't have a room, I sleep in the living room. I also don't leave my house often so I'm on my pc in the living room most of my time. I've tried applying to apprenticeships and jobs but nothing. I'd love to move out but of course, I can't do that right now. However, I did finish secondary school with 1 A* 4 As 2 Bs and 2 Cs, not the best but I'm happy I've got GCSEs.
If there's any advice it'd be appreciated. Anything at all, places I could volunteer to get me started or something that you found useful, I'm just really desperate at this point.

ok. so whats up with your therapist? can he /she not give you some support with those problems and give you some ideas? ask! You will also need help to go out more!
Reply 2
Original post by mgi
ok. so whats up with your therapist? can he /she not give you some support with those problems and give you some ideas? ask! You will also need help to go out more!

Well, we mainly just talk about my problems and some trauma from before but we've kinda stopped talking about somethings for now since they started giving me nightmares. Right now we just talk about how I feel and what I do, but I'll try asking, thanks!
Try talking to different colleges and seek advice from them. I hope you find something amazing and I hope your anxiety goes!

Quick Reply

Latest