Nappies at night - how normal is it at 8 years old? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My younger brother is 8 (large age gap) and still has pull up nappies at night. He pees them every night and has never been dry. He can't go on sleepovers because he worries about his friends finding out. He tried sleeping without them for a week but my parents couldn't keep up with the laundry and he got upset about feeling wet.

I sometimes can't believe he is 8 and still in nappies! When I have to buy them people must think they are for a toddler. Some kids clearly do wet the bed but I feel like he shouldn't be wetting his nappies every night, in the morning they are literally full to the point of bursting. Has anyone experienced this?
fatima17k
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My younger brother is 8 (large age gap) and still has pull up nappies at night. He pees them every night and has never been dry. He can't go on sleepovers because he worries about his friends finding out. He tried sleeping without them for a week but my parents couldn't keep up with the laundry and he got upset about feeling wet.

I sometimes can't believe he is 8 and still in nappies! When I have to buy them people must think they are for a toddler. Some kids clearly do wet the bed but I feel like he shouldn't be wetting his nappies every night, in the morning they are literally full to the point of bursting. Has anyone experienced this?
I've experienced something similar
my brother was 9 when he managed to fully come off nappies, but he's got autism. so i'd say maybe take him to a therapist? it doesn't necessarily mean that your brother definitely has autism, but it could be something that can be solved through some sort of therapy, you never know.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by fatima17k)
I've experienced something similar
my brother was 9 when he managed to fully come off nappies, but he's got autism. so i'd say maybe take him to a therapist? it doesn't necessarily mean that your brother definitely has autism, but it could be something that can be solved through some sort of therapy, you never know.
Thanks, we took him to the doctor and they just said he will grow out of it. I don't think he has autism I think its more he can't control his bladder at night. Did you do anything to help potty train your brother?
fatima17k
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks, we took him to the doctor and they just said he will grow out of it. I don't think he has autism I think its more he can't control his bladder at night. Did you do anything to help potty train your brother?
that's good then, at least it's not anything serious.
and yhh, there was a lot of stuff my parents did for him to finally be potty trained, like we had a picture of a cartoon boy sitting in the toilet, whenever they see him straining they would take him straightaway to the toilet. and it turned out that as soon as he sits on the toilet, he keeps it in
until one day he done it and he was like "i did it!". since then he ever had a nappy on.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Could it be an emotional thing or is it a physical problem? Hopefully he’ll grow out of it.
Anonymous #1
that's good then, at least it's not anything serious.
and yhh, there was a lot of stuff my parents did for him to finally be potty trained, like we had a picture of a cartoon boy sitting in the toilet, whenever they see him straining they would take him straightaway to the toilet. and it turned out that as soon as he sits on the toilet, he keeps it in
until one day he done it and he was like "i did it!". since then he ever had a nappy on.
That's good, pleased it worked. With my brother its just at night so we don't wake him to use the toilet. My parents don't want him to lose sleep because of it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by YaliaV)
Could it be an emotional thing or is it a physical problem? Hopefully he’ll grow out of it.
Not sure, he has always done it so don't think it could be like something that's happened recently
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
this thread should help you:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3433725

the problem is very similar
fatima17k
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's good, pleased it worked. With my brother its just at night so we don't wake him to use the toilet. My parents don't want him to lose sleep because of it.
nahh i dont think your parents should wake him up
im pretty sure its just a phase, my parents told me i used to sleepwalk for quite a couple of years, until i was about 14?
Anonymous #1
nahh i dont think your parents should wake him up
im pretty sure its just a phase, my parents told me i used to sleepwalk for quite a couple of years, until i was about 14?
Thanks again, maybe we just have to wait. What nappies did your brother wear? My brother's sometimes leak which isn't good!
fatima17k
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks again, maybe we just have to wait. What nappies did your brother wear? My brother's sometimes leak which isn't good!
no worries!
and tbh i really cant remember but what i do know is that pampers is a really good brand
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i still used them when i was 11 and i use to have to go to some clinic, i dont have any mental disorders so i think some people just grow out of it slower
Anonymous #1
no worries!
and tbh i really cant remember but what i do know is that pampers is a really good brand
Thanks, he has huggies atm so next time I will buy him some pampers. Pull ups can be so expensive
fatima17k
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks, he has huggies atm so next time I will buy him some pampers. Pull ups can be so expensive
i work at a nursery and ngl, i've realised the quality of huggies isnt all that and pampers is way better
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Gent2324)
i still used them when i was 11 and i use to have to go to some clinic, i dont have any mental disorders so i think some people just grow out of it slower
Did the clinic work? The doctor hasn't mentioned this
Anonymous #1
i work at a nursery and ngl, i've realised the quality of huggies isnt all that and pampers is way better
The huggies just can't hold the volume some mornings and he wakes up we. Hopfully pampers will be more absorbent
mabinty bangura
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
He might have an over-reactive bladder, tell ur parents to get him checked at the hospital for it.
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Did the clinic work? The doctor hasn't mentioned this
i cant really remember but they did do a couple piss tests or something. they gave me some pants that had an alarm on them if they got wet
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
He will grow out of it for sure!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Gent2324)
i cant really remember but they did do a couple piss tests or something. they gave me some pants that had an alarm on them if they got wet
Thanks I will ask my parents about looking into one. Can you remember what nappies you had as my brother's sometimes leak which is annoying?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads