how realistic is it for a uk citizen to immigrate to the US or canada? Watch

lewis6969
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
i dont hate the uk, far from it. However, i'd much prefer to settle down in the US or canada. Though, after looking at ways to become a permanent resident, it seems borderline impossible. Seems like you need some insanely good job or to get married to the US citizen, both of which arent achievable for me. How the hell are these people from very poor countries immigrating to the USA
Last edited by lewis6969; 3 weeks ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lewis6969)
i dont hate the uk, far from it. However, i'd much prefer to settle down in the US or canada. Though, after looking at ways to become a permanent resident, it seems borderline impossible. Seems like you need some insanely good job or to get married to the US citizen, both of which arent achievable for me. How the hell are these people from very poor countries immigrating to the USA
Work for a company with a US office, and come on an L1 visa. Fairly easy in tech.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 weeks ago
lewis6969
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Work for a company with a US office, and come on an L1 visa.
wouldnt you need a decent job for them to even send you off to the US
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
wouldnt you need a decent job for them to even send you off to the US
What area do you/ will you work in? You need to have skills that the US wants, or lots of money to invest.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 weeks ago
lewis6969
Rep:
?
What area do you/ will you work in? You need to have skills that the US wants, or lots of money to invest.
i havent been to uni yet but im going to study either a language or computer science. im leaning towards a language since i enjoy that more
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i havent been to uni yet but im going to study either a language or computer science. im leaning towards a language since i enjoy that more
For getting to the US, CS would be better, but you must go with what you enjoy most, IMO.
lewis6969
Rep:
?
For getting to the US, CS would be better, but you must go with what you enjoy most, IMO.
yeah, well aware but im better at language learning and i find it more fun. Thanks for your time though mate, i honestly appreciate it
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yeah, well aware but im better at language learning and i find it more fun. Thanks for your time though mate, i honestly appreciate it
Once you're in work, do well, and there will be opportunities. US companies often move stand-out employees. Good luck.
lewis6969
Rep:
?
Once you're in work, do well, and there will be opportunities. US companies often move stand-out employees. Good luck.
thank you, im feeling insanely determined right now
juulpod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just out of curiosity, why dont you want to stay in the UK?
Orange s0da
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Watch 90 day fiancé
lewis6969
Rep:
?
(Original post by juulpod)
Just out of curiosity, why dont you want to stay in the UK?
i like the nature and scenery in america and canada. You wont find huge forests and mountains here in the uk. im an adventurous person and while the uk certainly doesnt suck, i would probably be much happier in the US or canada. im also introverted and like lots of space too and the uk has too big of a population density for my liking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads