username4184780
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So at the start of year 12, I took maths, further maths, computer science and physics and after two weeks I felt too overwhelmed with 4 a-levels therefore I decided to drop further maths (was gonna take 3 anyways).
Now it's been a week (missed 4 lessons of further maths) and I'm wondering if it's too late to change back to further maths (and if I should) or to not change and do computing.

Firstly, I dropped further maths mainly because my sister advised me to. She that that:
- I may fail further maths cus it's REALLY hard whereas computer science is easier to get better grades at (HOWEVER I haven't taken the computing GCSE 😰).
- APPARENTLY most people drop further maths later on (like in Yr13) or that they do bad in it unless they're a "maths genius".
- It's not suited for me since I am thinking of computer science degree, not maths degree for uni and that the subject is suited for mathematicians.

However after a few days, I kinda started to overthink things like:
- I did some research and other universities have mentioned that they 'recommend' doing further maths for me to do computer science and don't say anything about needing computer science as a requirement so there's little point to be taking the A-level(?)
- I'm worried because I haven't done the GCSE therefore I feel a bit behind compared to everyone else and may not do as well either :/
- My friend told me that taking further maths with maths and physics basically feels like you're taking 2 subjects and would be easier :0

Oh and it's not that I'm not hardworking but it's just that I don't have much time after school since I have to help my family with their business almost everyday therefore I mostly rely on the days off I have and the free periods during the school day for me to study :///. So I'm basically trying to find a-levels which are good for me to go to university (I'm considering Oxbridge as one of my choices) as well as maybe the choice that can be easier for me to get good grades in (so slightly easier, though a-levels aren't easy). I hope this makes sense!!!

So this is basically an unnecessarily long way of asking "further maths or computer science?" but I just wanna put out my situation at the moment with personal life and stuff ajakskskaksk

blackthrn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i do further maths, and not computing and i’m planning on studying computer science!
if you think you’ll struggle in further maths, stick with computing, but further maths is infinitely more helpful at degree level according to people i’ve talked to at universities - and having it will make you a more competitive applicant than computing would, especially if you’re thinking about oxbridge.
username4184780
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackthrn)
i do further maths, and not computing and i’m planning on studying computer science!
if you think you’ll struggle in further maths, stick with computing, but further maths is infinitely more helpful at degree level according to people i’ve talked to at universities - and having it will make you a more competitive applicant than computing would, especially if you’re thinking about oxbridge.
Thanks so much! What year are you in?
I tried further maths for about two weeks and found it a bit harder (but i felt like my teacher is a bit bad) but doable if I practiced more...
I'm actually considering oxbridge :/// so if you are in a later year, do you find further maths hard? :0
blackthrn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by studyer)
Thanks so much! What year are you in?
I tried further maths for about two weeks and found it a bit harder (but i felt like my teacher is a bit bad) but doable if I practiced more...
I'm actually considering oxbridge :/// so if you are in a later year, do you find further maths hard? :0
i’m in year 13! i don’t find it hard at all, but i’ve never really found any maths hard - i do know a couple of my friends in the class do find it hard, however they are people who hd to put more work in at gcse.
.unknown
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes do further maths it's more helpful
username4184780
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackthrn)
i’m in year 13! i don’t find it hard at all, but i’ve never really found any maths hard - i do know a couple of my friends in the class do find it hard, however they are people who hd to put more work in at gcse.
ooh thank youuu! i feel like i should definitely change back nowww....
if you don't mind me asking, how well did you do in GCSE? I got a 7 but I think it was exam pressure as I almost all the time during class got 8s and sometimes 9s.... ((so basically asking am I too dumb for it? T-T))
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you want to study at university?
casabonita
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yea computer science isn't needed for a computer science degree, but oxbridge recommend further maths for it! i think further maths would also help you for the admissions exams, as they have further maths content in. therefore you'd probs have to study further maths topics even if u dont take it as an a level! im taking maths, further maths, computer science, and economics, and im also worried about my a level choices
username4184780
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
What do you want to study at university?
Computer science :'))
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Computer science :'))
Crap. Both are quite useful.
Martin2343
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Defininitely take Further Maths over CS. I took the 4 a levels you took, and if you're thinking of dropping one of them, drop CS. I can assure you that it's a very small subject and therefore no university will have it as a requirement, yet a few unis such as Edinburgh (for second year entry) will have FM as a requirement. Switch back to FM if you can, if not, you're still in a good position don't stress.
Also, thinking ahead, realistically, FM will help you more with your degree also, especially in first year.
I'm doing CS at uni
Last edited by Martin2343; 1 year ago
username4184780
Rep:
?
(Original post by prettyalevels)
yea computer science isn't needed for a computer science degree, but oxbridge recommend further maths for it! i think further maths would also help you for the admissions exams, as they have further maths content in. therefore you'd probs have to study further maths topics even if u dont take it as an a level! im taking maths, further maths, computer science, and economics, and im also worried about my a level choices
yeahh and sadly i realised this after i dropped it I was more put off by it due to the fact that so many people have said that it's the hardest a-level to do, and me being just about above average (and not like a genius in maths) made me really scared that I won't be able to get into oxbridge if I failed it or something...
username4184780
Rep:
?
(Original post by Martin2343)
Defininitely take Further Maths over CS. I took the 4 a levels you took, and if you're thinking of dropping one of them, drop CS. I can assure you that it's a very small subject and therefore no university will have it as a requirement. Switch back to FM if you can, if not, you're still in a good position don't stress.
I'm doing CS at uni
Thank you so much for your response!
Was further maths REALLY difficult? That's one of my biggest worries for me...
And do you have any advice for improving in further maths/maths? Thank you! :'))
Martin2343
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your response!
Was further maths REALLY difficult? That's one of my biggest worries for me...
And do you have any advice for improving in further maths/maths? Thank you! :'))
It wasn't no, I guess it depends on your college/school. Almost all of my friends took further maths, it was the norm. Don't compare yourself to your peers, just stay in your own game.
My only advice would be to stay consistent, just give one hour each day after school, and you'll be set. That was one of my biggest regrets which made me miss out on the A*.
SonOfSteve
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At the Cambridge Computer Science masterclass, we were told further maths is 100% REQUIRED at least at AS, but most applicants will have to A2, despite their website suggesting it's optional. Hope this helps if you are really trying to push for Oxbridge!
blackthrn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ooh thank youuu! i feel like i should definitely change back nowww....
if you don't mind me asking, how well did you do in GCSE? I got a 7 but I think it was exam pressure as I almost all the time during class got 8s and sometimes 9s.... ((so basically asking am I too dumb for it? T-T))
i got a 9, 220/240. my friend who got a 7 does have to work harder than the rest of us (everyone but him got either an 8 or a 9) but if you’re prepared to put effort in you will be able to do it.
username4184780
Rep:
?
(Original post by Martin2343)
It wasn't no, I guess it depends on your college/school. Almost all of my friends took further maths, it was the norm. Don't compare yourself to your peers, just stay in your own game.
My only advice would be to stay consistent, just give one hour each day after school, and you'll be set. That was one of my biggest regrets which made me miss out on the A*.
Thank you, you've been really helpful!
I'll take your advice to consideration! I was always self conscious about my maths skills heheh but thank you so much!
Fufuyo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So at the start of year 12, I took maths, further maths, computer science and physics and after two weeks I felt too overwhelmed with 4 a-levels therefore I decided to drop further maths (was gonna take 3 anyways).
Now it's been a week (missed 4 lessons of further maths) and I'm wondering if it's too late to change back to further maths (and if I should) or to not change and do computing.

Firstly, I dropped further maths mainly because my sister advised me to. She that that:
- I may fail further maths cus it's REALLY hard whereas computer science is easier to get better grades at (HOWEVER I haven't taken the computing GCSE 😰).
- APPARENTLY most people drop further maths later on (like in Yr13) or that they do bad in it unless they're a "maths genius".
- It's not suited for me since I am thinking of computer science degree, not maths degree for uni and that the subject is suited for mathematicians.

However after a few days, I kinda started to overthink things like:
- I did some research and other universities have mentioned that they 'recommend' doing further maths for me to do computer science and don't say anything about needing computer science as a requirement so there's little point to be taking the A-level(?)
- I'm worried because I haven't done the GCSE therefore I feel a bit behind compared to everyone else and may not do as well either :/
- My friend told me that taking further maths with maths and physics basically feels like you're taking 2 subjects and would be easier :0

Oh and it's not that I'm not hardworking but it's just that I don't have much time after school since I have to help my family with their business almost everyday therefore I mostly rely on the days off I have and the free periods during the school day for me to study :///. So I'm basically trying to find a-levels which are good for me to go to university (I'm considering Oxbridge as one of my choices) as well as maybe the choice that can be easier for me to get good grades in (so slightly easier, though a-levels aren't easy). I hope this makes sense!!!

So this is basically an unnecessarily long way of asking "further maths or computer science?" but I just wanna put out my situation at the moment with personal life and stuff ajakskskaksk

Im in yr 12 and I took maths, economics, further maths and computer science. Tbh I find further maths to be the most interesting subject out of my choices tho I was contemplating my decision to take it before. The content till now hasn't been too hard it's actually quite doable and it partly because I have very good teacher. If you're teacher is bad I would advise that you get a private tutor to keep up with the content but I still think it's alot more valuable than CS for a CS degree.
username4184780
Rep:
?
(Original post by SonOfSteve)
At the Cambridge Computer Science masterclass, we were told further maths is 100% REQUIRED at least at AS, but most applicants will have to A2, despite their website suggesting it's optional. Hope this helps if you are really trying to push for Oxbridge!
Oh wow, THANK YOU SO MUCH,, THAT IS VERY HELPFUL!! :''DD
username4184780
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fufuyo)
Im in yr 12 and I took maths, economics, further maths and computer science. Tbh I find further maths to be the most interesting subject out of my choices tho I was contemplating my decision to take it before. The content till now hasn't been too hard it's actually quite doable and it partly because I have very good teacher. If you're teacher is bad I would advise that you get a private tutor to keep up with the content but I still think it's alot more valuable than CS for a CS degree.
Oh okay, thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (39)
5.9%
Uncertainty around my education (78)
11.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
10.89%
Lack of purpose or motivation (84)
12.71%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.6%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.6%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (71)
10.74%
Financial worries (41)
6.2%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (27)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (39)
5.9%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (20)
3.03%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (64)
9.68%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (52)
7.87%

Watched Threads