What are the influences on UK legislation process?

Watch
Peter_sii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can someone please explain it to me in simple words? I am a access to Law student and need to write about 400 words about this.

Plus, do you know any resources/websites that I can learn Law stuffs from it in very simple words? Thanks
paigeanthoni7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Peter_sii)
Can someone please explain it to me in simple words? I am a access to Law student and need to write about 400 words about this.

Plus, do you know any resources/websites that I can learn Law stuffs from it in very simple words? Thanks
Influences on Parliamentary Law Making:

Pressure Groups - groups like Greenpeace who campaign through the media and direct to the government to get them to support their cause.
Lobbyists - individual people who lobby MP's and try to get them to support their cause.
Political Influence - so during an election each party has a manifesto that they set out what they plan to achieve whilst in government. when the party is elected, the manifesto impacts what laws they create.
Public Opinion/Media - media highlights issues of the public and puts it directly in national attention.

flippedlaw.com is a great website with videos on each topic
HiViz9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Public outrage. For example, A person drink driving, kills another, gets a light sentence. The public becomes so outraged the government has to change the sentencing guidelines or set a statute law with harsher sentences for this offence.
Judicial Review. A means through the High court whereby any UK Citizen can make a case to enforce Government institutions (Prison Service - Tax Department) to operate within set down laws and rules. For example; Today there is a case to do with Womens Pensions. when women had their pension age increased, meaning the pension payout was raised from age 60 to 66 (I think) for women. Has the government operated fairly within the set law for womens pensions.
Elections; "Vote for us and we will Jail child killers for their whole life"!! This is popular and is stated, by Boris Johnson. This becomes a Tory Manifesto pledge for people to vote on. If they win and form a government they can introduce new law to set this prison term for this offence.
Judicial Review sets clarity in law; Example.... Years ago Life Sentence Prisoners were never told why they were refused parole. This was deemed to be inhuman so 4 prisoners took the Prison Service to court via Judicial Review. The court ruled in favour of the prisoners and directed the Prison Service to inform Life Sentence prisoners why they are refused parole. This was immediately set into operation by the prison service. New law is not created, just that the existing law is properly interpreted and not abused by powerful institutions etc.
Donague V Stevenson is the most famous case in history and one of the most important changes in law ever.
Last edited by HiViz9; 1 year ago
Rick Ape
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

https://www.inbrief.co.uk

http://swarblaw.co.uk

https://lawexplores.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.19%
I'm not sure (27)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.75%

Watched Threads