Has anyone been kicked out by their parents? Watch

mozzarella
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
After you turn 18 your parents aren't legally responsible to fund you. They don't have to pay for shelter, food or anything else for you.

I'm from an Asian culture so it's very rare for our parents to do this, but I'm just wondering if anyone has been or has known people in this position where parents refuse to support their chidlren after 18.

What did they do? What if they have nowhere to stay?
maiishaa-a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ik a few people..not personally but ik their cousins. as soon as they turn 18 they're out of the house, but reasons for that was because the kid was involved with drugs or gangs or has no care for the future. But I've also seen situations wherein cultures in which children as soon as they turn 18 it doesn't really matter because of those children may be going into higher education and leading towards a good life. Tbh it all varies but some end up homeless if they have no means to support for themselves and others have part-time jobs from beforehand so they would get an apartment. ik people who lodge at their mate's for a few nights and then doss in another mate's for the next few weeks after that
R1C3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sort of.
Just before I returned for my final year of studies- I was told that if there is a period of time after finishing my studies where I need a place to stay until I have a job, I will not be allowed home. I was told that I would require a job in order to live at home- regardless of whether or not my online business ventures fund my weekly board.

I did try to explain that finding a job for the sake of having one would be counterproductive to me studying for four years, in order to get a degree and therefore a job that I desire- and also extremely difficult in my area anyway (I received 32 rejection notices for work between June and August).

My parents do not support me financially in general- so I believe I somewhat fall into your described demographic.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mozzarella)
After you turn 18 your parents aren't legally responsible to fund you. They don't have to pay for shelter, food or anything else for you.

I'm from an Asian culture so it's very rare for our parents to do this, but I'm just wondering if anyone has been or has known people in this position where parents refuse to support their chidlren after 18.

What did they do? What if they have nowhere to stay?
I think your claim that it is very rare in asian families is untrue. Plenty of threads with asian children being threatened for non compliance.
In the UK you can leave or be asked to leave when 16.
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m Asian and never been in this situation luckily. But I do agree it’s true that Asian parents wouldn’t really ask their kids to leave.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nope, I'm nearly 30 and I'm only just looking for my own place now :lol: My mum says I'm a pain in the arse to live with sometimes (as if she isn't) but overall, she's going to miss having me around.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads