Not sure how to go to University or what to do with my life anymore. Watch

Andrew23112
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello All,

I will try to keep this short, but as detailed as possible.

I left sixth form at the end of Year 12 (AS year) in Summer 2016. The subjects I was taking was Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Since I had learned most of AS maths for my GCSEs, I was given permission to sit the full A-level Maths qualification in Year 12. I also took the AS qualification in Further Mathematics, but I didn't take any examinations for Physics because Physics had been reformed and school decided I should only take the full A-level qualification the following year.

I achieved the following grades:
A-level Mathematics: A*
AS Further Mathematics: A

I decided not to return to sixth form for Year 13 (Stupidest decision ever) because I found it easy and thought that I could do it myself. It was very easy. Go to classes, listen to the teacher and do the textbook exercises which the teacher would recommend and I would get A/A* in all of my examinations without much stress. So, I decided for Year 13, I wouldn't go to Sixth form and I would instead self teach and take my examinations at a exam center.

At the start of what would have been my Year 13, if I had went to sixth form, I decided to apply for University. I applied to several and got invited to interview at Cambridge. I was really happy about this, but for some reason I just couldn't study. From September of that year, I just wasn't able to study. It was very different from when I was a sixth form student. I keep putting the studying off. I was too focused on watching anime and playing video games.

When I was a student at sixth form, I had the following motivators:
1. Exam table. We had an exam every 2 weeks, and nobody wanted to place last in that table because it would be embarrassing. Striving for the number 1 spot it was kept me motivated to study.
2. Homework, failure to complete homework would mean that we would get detentions. That kept me on top of my school work.
3. Being around other similar minded students kept me motivated.

When I was a sixth form student, I never understood how important these things were in creating a productive student. But now that I've tried to self teach, I understand how difficult it is to teach yourself something when nobody is holding your hand or forcing you to do it.

So, I ended up not going to my Cambridge interview because I was not adequately prepared at all. I hadn't looked at any Maths properly for longer than an hour since my examinations in June. My new plan was to take my examinations in Further Maths A2 and the full Physics A-level in 2018 June. However, I faced the same issues that I faced when I tried to prepare for my Cambridge interview assessments. I would briefly begin to study for 10 or so minutes and then I would just give up and proceed to watch anime or play video games.

I ended up not paying for my examinations because it was quite obvious that I would have failed had I did. It's recommended that you put around 300 learning hours into each of your A-level subject. From September-April, I believe I did maybe 2-3 hours of studying in total for my subjects. A similar thing happened this year also, didn't sit any examinations because I didn't study at all.

I really need help. I am passionate about Maths and Computer Science. I would love to be a software developer in future, but I cannot self teach. I thought it would be a easy thing to do as I didn't find A-levels very difficult, but it's not. I am fast approaching 20, so I do not think enrolling into sixth form is a possibility anymore.

I don't know what to do someone please help me. I really want to go to University.
Last edited by Andrew23112; 3 weeks ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A levels at college? Foundation year/open uni you have a bit of qualifications but i don’t know if it’s enough to let you go so you contact them.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew23112)
Hello All,

I left sixth form at the end of Year 12 (AS year) in Summer 2016. The subjects I was taking was Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Since I had learned most of AS maths for my GCSEs, I was given permission to sit the full A-level Maths qualification in Year 12. I also took the AS qualification in Further Mathematics, but I didn't take any examinations for Physics because Physics had been reformed and school decided I should only take the full A-level qualification the following year.

I decided not to return to sixth form for Year 13 (Stupidest decision ever) because I found it easy and thought that I could do it myself. It was very easy. Go to classes, listen to the teacher and do the textbook exercises which the teacher would recommend and I would get A/A* in all of my examinations without much stress. So, I decided for Year 13, I wouldn't go to Sixth form and I would instead self teach and take my examinations at a exam center.

At the start of what would have been my Year 13, if I had went to sixth form, I decided to apply for University. I applied to several and got invited to interview at Cambridge. I was really happy about this, but for some reason I just couldn't study. From September of that year, I just wasn't able to study. It was very different from when I was a sixth form student. I keep putting the studying off. I was too focused on watching anime and playing video games.

1. Exam table. We had an exam every 2 weeks, and nobody wanted to place last in that table because it would be embarrassing. Striving for the number 1 spot it was kept me motivated to study.
2. Homework, failure to complete homework would mean that we would get detentions. That kept me on top of my school work.

When I was a sixth form student, I never understood how important these things were in creating a productive student. But now that I've tried to self teach, I understand how difficult it is to teach yourself something when nobody is holding your hand or forcing you to do it.

So, I ended up not going to my Cambridge interview because I was not adequately prepared at all. I hadn't looked at any Maths properly for longer than an hour since my examinations in June. My new plan was to take my examinations in Further Maths A2 and the full Physics A-level in 2018 June. However, I faced the same issues that I faced when I tried to prepare for my Cambridge interview assessments. I would briefly begin to study for 10 or so minutes and then I would just give up and proceed to watch anime or play video games.

I ended up not paying for my examinations because it was quite obvious that I would have failed had I did. It's recommended that you put around 300 learning hours into each of your A-level subject. From September-April, I believe I did maybe 2-3 hours of studying in total for my subjects. A similar thing happened this year also, didn't sit any examinations because I didn't study at all.

I really need help. I am passionate about Maths and Computer Science. I would love to be a software developer in future, but I cannot self teach. I thought it would be a easy thing to do as I didn't find A-levels very difficult, but it's not. I am fast approaching 20, so I do not think enrolling into sixth form is a possibility anymore.

I don't know what to do someone please help me. I really want to go to University.
Get in touch with your local sixth form college and see what they say. Should be able to give you some guidance at least. Do not worry about date they will still be enrolling.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew23112)
Hello All,

You are in an unusual position of having 1.5 excellent A levels when uni degrees normally require a minimum of two, at least until an applicant reaches the age of 21 when they will be considered a mature student. I would normally suggest something like the Open university to improve your qualifications before transferring to a brick uni, but you obviously need to physically attend a college. As Scotney says, you should contact your local colleges for advice and to see what they can offer you. It would also be worth your while phoning some unis for advice as to what they think you should do. At the moment I don't think you would qualify for their foundation years but you could ask, and you could also ask how they would view your application if you were to do an Access course at college (whether you need to do one geared towards computer science or could do a general one if that is the only option at your local colleges).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads