4dahomies
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I'm currently a medical student outside the UK. Our medical curriculum is very special - Like Cambridge, we will be able to do something else in our third year of college. However, since most of the students will just either stay in a lab for a whole year or go abroad without actually gaining much, I'm looking into do something more (I'm a pretty practical person.) So, it has come to my idea that perhaps I should do like a master or another bachelor degree overseas. However, I'm first off not sure if any Master program is gonna take me in regard to my undergraduate status if it's got no connection with my medical school. On the other hand, I would say I'm pretty intrigued in PPE/PPEL also, but I don't know if I should really opt for that instead of some more related subjects like Psychology.
Any opinion? Especially concerning the Social Science vs Psychology (I know psychology is quite social science but you know what I'm tryna bring up on here ) matters.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 4dahomies)
Hi! I'm currently a medical student outside the UK. Our medical curriculum is very special - Like Cambridge, we will be able to do something else in our third year of college. However, since most of the students will just either stay in a lab for a whole year or go abroad without actually gaining much, I'm looking into do something more (I'm a pretty practical person.) So, it has come to my idea that perhaps I should do like a master or another bachelor degree overseas. However, I'm first off not sure if any Master program is gonna take me in regard to my undergraduate status if it's got no connection with my medical school. On the other hand, I would say I'm pretty intrigued in PPE/PPEL also, but I don't know if I should really opt for that instead of some more related subjects like Psychology.
Any opinion? Especially concerning the Social Science vs Psychology (I know psychology is quite social science but you know what I'm tryna bring up on here ) matters.
Its hard to comment as I really have no idea how qualifications in your country work.

What i will say is that in the UK masters courses generally have a completed undergraduate degree as a requirement to enrol. I think you will find it hard to find an appropriate course. Med schools do run intercalated BScs, intended to be taken by med students in 1 year, but I have no idea how they would respond to an international request.

So... most undergraduate degrees in PPE take 3 years. How would you fit that into 1 year, exactly? Even Cambridge doesn't do that any more (and technically never did - when people did some left-field topic it wasn't the full degree they were taking. You would not be eligible to practice law by intercalating a Cambridge law degree, for example).

I assume this additional degree will cost money? How much?

I think you will likely need to be talking to your med school and directly contacting other unis about this.
4dahomies
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Its hard to comment as I really have no idea how qualifications in your country work.

What i will say is that in the UK masters courses generally have a completed undergraduate degree as a requirement to enrol. I think you will find it hard to find an appropriate course. Med schools do run intercalated BScs, intended to be taken by med students in 1 year, but I have no idea how they would respond to an international request.

So... most undergraduate degrees in PPE take 3 years. How would you fit that into 1 year, exactly? Even Cambridge doesn't do that any more (and technically never did - when people did some left-field topic it wasn't the full degree they were taking. You would not be eligible to practice law by intercalating a Cambridge law degree, for example).

I assume this additional degree will cost money? How much?

I think you will likely need to be talking to your med school and directly contacting other unis about this.
Yeah I will just take a break from that so I can do a whole degree. Haven’t talked to my counselor about that but there were cases thus far.

And I mean how much further is yet to be known... but for those international students that study abroad, they are either hella rich or successful in applying for grants right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (25)
15.82%
No one else does (54)
34.18%
I'm embarrassed about my background (17)
10.76%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (53)
33.54%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.27%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.16%

Watched Threads