VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I just got my English Lit A Level remark back. I went up by 19 marks and a grade!
Obviously this is great, I'm super happy. But it also raises the question of who they are actually getting to mark these exams? 19 marks isn't a slight mistake, it's consistent bad marking. I'm lucky that my family could afford to help me pay for a remark; these grades can make a huge difference to people's future.

Has anyone else had a ridiculous difference in their remarks? I don't know how exactly common this is, but I can only hope the person who originally marked my exam didn't mess up as much on other papers.

Absolutely insane.

((EDIT: I double checked my Maths, which was terrible in my excitement (I'm doing English for a reason lol) and it was actually raised by 23 Marks. Mental. ))
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 4 weeks ago
Lwajura
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
u mad cuz bad, literature is one of the hardest subjects u should have known what u got urself into
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nobody is infallible.
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lwajura)
u mad cuz bad, literature is one of the hardest subjects u should have known what u got urself into
I'm not talking about the difficulty of the subject, I'm talking about the inconsistency of the marking. Some of the people I know have gone up from Ds to As in the past. I just don't think it's fair, and it seems strange that these results are so valued, when you might have been grades off where you should have been.

(Original post by YaliaV)
Nobody is infallible.
Yeah, I'm aware that mistakes are made sometimes, and I feel bad for markers. It just seems crazy to me that marking is so inconsistent, especially in terms of the essay subjects. Often examiners have target pressures, and I get that this can cause mistakes, but in that case then the exam boards need to pay markers more, and also make sure people marking are comfortable and trained in the mark scheme. I know some amazing teachers who have stopped marking because the pressure is just too much, and the pay is terrible. If all the dedicated teachers leave because the pressure is too much, then students could genuinely be left with people trying to make a quick bit of a side money.

I mean, exam boards are a shambles. I remember when we were introduced to the new English GCSE my teacher was barely given enough information to get us through the course. I guess I'm just irritated that firms and companies will have no idea of the fallibility of exam results. Sometimes it's a fallibility that can cost people their futures.
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s these type of subjects, they’re so subjective. I thought I did well in my Business A Level but on one paper I got 85% of marks whereas in one I got 40% even though they were done pretty well, but marked by different people
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
It’s these type of subjects, they’re so subjective. I thought I did well in my Business A Level but on one paper I got 85% of marks whereas in one I got 40% even though they were done pretty well, but marked by different people
Yeah, I guess that's a danger. But I don't think that's an excuse for them to be as inconsistent as they are. I had a similar thing in my English: now my second paper has been remarked, I'm two marks over my first paper! There's subjective, sure, but there has to be a line between correct and incorrect?
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
Yeah, I'm aware that mistakes are made sometimes, and I feel bad for markers. It just seems crazy to me that marking is so inconsistent, especially in terms of the essay subjects. Often examiners have target pressures, and I get that this can cause mistakes, but in that case then the exam boards need to pay markers more, and also make sure people marking are comfortable and trained in the mark scheme. I know some amazing teachers who have stopped marking because the pressure is just too much, and the pay is terrible. If all the dedicated teachers leave because the pressure is too much, then students could genuinely be left with people trying to make a quick bit of a side money.

I mean, exam boards are a shambles. I remember when we were introduced to the new English GCSE my teacher was barely given enough information to get us through the course. I guess I'm just irritated that firms and companies will have no idea of the fallibility of exam results. Sometimes it's a fallibility that can cost people their futures.
English Lit A Level had some serious marking problems this year. Considering most papers are double marked it doesn't give you much hope. These are important grades too. You'd think they'd make sure it's consistent.

I'd actually appeal to your exam board/ school to get the money back, which, since your original marks were wrong, you're absolutely entitled to do.
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
(Original post by ProbablyPallas)
English Lit A Level had some serious marking problems this year. Considering most papers are double marked it doesn't give you much hope. These are important grades too. You'd think they'd make sure it's consistent.

I'd actually appeal to your exam board/ school to get the money back, which, since your original marks were wrong, you're absolutely entitled to do.
I didn't know you could do that! I definitely will, my dad will be pleased we can get the money back haha.
ProbablyPallas
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn't know you could do that! I definitely will, my dad will be pleased we can get the money back haha.
I assume you got priority marking? I'm unsure, however since it's come to light that your original marks were incorrect and YOU had to pay to get them rectified, technically that's fraud?
username3855104
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I guess I'm just irritated that firms and companies will have no idea of the fallibility of exam results. Sometimes it's a fallibility that can cost people their futures.
I think your irritation is absolutely understandable. I agree that GCSE and A-level marking are both substandard unfortunately.
My son's Literature GCSE went up by 16 marks after remarking, taking his result to an almost 100%.
How could this have been missed in the first place?? (He also had one A-level Paper reviewed and his result again went up, this time only with 5 marks but it also meant a grade change to A*).

I don't think it is acceptable or should be tolerated. Although my child's story is a happy ending one, we are more than disappointed with the system.
username3855104
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We were refunded by the exam board in a couple days without having to ask. At least something that worked OK.
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
I assume you got priority marking? I'm unsure, however since it's come to light that your original marks were incorrect and YOU had to pay to get them rectified, technically that's fraud?
I didn't get priority remark, I guess technically it was a review? But I still had to pay £50 for it, which was a lot of money. I'll email my centre and see what they can do. They've been super helpful with my A Level fiasco, so I'm sure if they can help get the money back, they will.
username3855104
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn't get priority remark, I guess technically it was a review? But I still had to pay £50 for it, which was a lot of money. I'll email my centre and see what they can do. They've been super helpful with my A Level fiasco, so I'm sure if they can help get the money back, they will.
You are entitled to a refund if your grade changes. No matter if it is priority or not. At least this is the information we were given.
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klotild)
I think your irritation is absolutely understandable. I agree that GCSE and A-level marking are both substandard unfortunately.
My son's Literature GCSE went up by 16 marks after remarking, taking his result to an almost 100%.
How could this have been missed in the first place?? (He also had one A-level Paper reviewed and his result again went up, this time only with 5 marks but it also meant a grade change to A*).

I don't think it is acceptable or should be tolerated. Although my child's story is a happy ending one, we are more than disappointed with the system.
Well done to your son! The system is terrible, I've found it infuriating.
I just feel sorry for the people who simply can't afford to risk the exam results not going up. Then students are stuck with wrong grades.
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
We were refunded by the exam board in a couple days without having to ask. At least something that worked OK.
You are entitled to a refund if your grade changes. No matter if it is priority or not. At least this is the information we were given.
Oh brilliant! Both me and my Dad get our £25 back then. That's good news.
username3855104
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well done to your son! The system is terrible, I've found it infuriating.
I just feel sorry for the people who simply can't afford to risk the exam results not going up. Then students are stuck with wrong grades.
Thanks!
And yes, this is exactly how I feel. Sorry for all those who take their results in good faith believing them to be correct, or don't have the means/support to query.

Oh brilliant! Both me and my Dad get our £25 back then. That's good news.
But please do ask, I am not sure if it is done automatically in every case.
ProbablyPallas
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if it wasn't priority, it should've been cheaper than £50 in the first place. Definitely check in with your exam board. You should absolutely get the money back. Which board was it?
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
if it wasn't priority, it should've been cheaper than £50 in the first place. Definitely check in with your exam board. You should absolutely get the money back. Which board was it?
It was AQA.

But please do ask, I am not sure if it is done automatically in every case.
I'll email my sixth form today. They've been great, so I'm sure they'll help me get a refund.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yep, welcome to essay based subjects. We hope you had a pleasant time and wish you a safe onward journey.
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Edexcel charge £47 for non priority marking reviews. My A-level English lit went up by 7 points in 1 paper, taking me from a B to an A. It was a similar experience to OP!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads