The Student Room Group

Election time in...Austria!

Scroll to see replies

Also today is polling day! If I remember I'll try to get the result up later tonight or tomorrow when it's known.
The projection at 6pm local time as per Der Spiegel:

4% of the vote is required to win seats.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Personally I think it's a result of the Cold War and a comparison with Germany and its fate. In brief, Germany was occupied in 1945 and the occupation was (more or less) lifted in 1949, though obviously the country was split in two. Austria's occupation lasted from 1945 to 1955, but the country was then neutral in the Cold War, rich and stable.

So the Austrians had a bit of a chip on their shoulder about the length of the occupation, but were also a stable, democratic, free and wealthy country, and so they were both risk- and change-averse. This probably explains both the tendency for broad coalitions and also the resistance to de-Nazification. (Not to mention the fact that Nazism was very easy to frame as an exclusively German thing, contrary to the actual truth.)

I can understand that then yes.
The projection at 6pm local time as per Der Spiegel:

4% of the vote is required to win seats.

So OVP-SPO coalition again maybe?
Original post by CatusStarbright
So OVP-SPO coalition again maybe?

The ÖVP can form a majority with any one of the SPÖ, FPÖ or Greens. The situation last time I checked was that the FPÖ had rules out another coalition after their poor showing this time around, so it'll be one of the others. There's some speculation it might be ÖVP-Green, in a dress rehearsal for what will probably happen in Germany with the CDU and the Greens in 2021.
A fantastic result for the Austrian right with Kurz only 20 seats of an outright majority and the social democrats recording their worst ever result.
The ÖVP can form a majority with any one of the SPÖ, FPÖ or Greens. The situation last time I checked was that the FPÖ had rules out another coalition after their poor showing this time around, so it'll be one of the others. There's some speculation it might be ÖVP-Green, in a dress rehearsal for what will probably happen in Germany with the CDU and the Greens in 2021.

I guess we'll have to wait and see :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending