About to start final year, poor work life balance. Watch

MonstrousJoys
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 49 years ago
Hey,

So I'm about to start my final year of my BA(Hons), I'm also working 50-60 hour weeks. I literally feel drained all the time, I'm a manager in a busy pub/restaurant and whilst the monies great I just want to break out of it, I want to enjoy my last year but work is horrible, I come home and cry because of the crap I deal with from random people. My drinking is wayyyyy above average on my days off (1 a week, sometimes 2) I start drinking at 10 and won't finish until the evening.

I feel guilty because work is desperately understaffed, just this morning the last member of bar staff left so I'm having to pick up the bar shifts. But I'm still only 22 and I want to enjoy life, have some balance in my life whilst I study my last year and be able to be a normal human again, please tell me that wanting to quit my job for something less stressful is ok? Is this normal for me to feel like this? Is this what adult life is about? I see other young men like me out and about enjoying themselves, full weekends to themselves.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Quit your MH is worth much more than this job
What you are doing is ridiculous
Either cut your hours or quit
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why are you working 50-60 hours a week at paid work during your final year of a degree? Wouldn’t you be better focusing on studying - which is surely what your coursemates are doing.
MonstrousJoys
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
Why are you working 50-60 hours a week at paid work during your final year of a degree? Wouldn’t you be better focusing on studying - which is surely what your coursemates are doing.
Needs of the business, I've been on summer break since May (second year hand ins). I've repeatedly said to my boss I need to drop down when uni starts but they keep uttering that my contract says 5 days a week. It's horrible, I want to spend my last year in a part time job, earning enough to cover my bills and have a bit of fun (car finance + insurance at 190 a month, phone bill at 39 a month and various other bits that come up to like 60 a month. I'd love that just whilst I enjoy my last year..
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MonstrousJoys)
Needs of the business, I've been on summer break since May (second year hand ins). I've repeatedly said to my boss I need to drop down when uni starts but they keep uttering that my contract says 5 days a week. It's horrible, I want to spend my last year in a part time job, earning enough to cover my bills and have a bit of fun (car finance + insurance at 190 a month, phone bill at 39 a month and various other bits that come up to like 60 a month. I'd love that just whilst I enjoy my last year..
So quit. You have car and phone costs which seem pretty excessive (do you live at home?).
MonstrousJoys
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
So quit. You have car and phone costs which seem pretty excessive (do you live at home?).
Excessive? I would've assumed it was on the lower end of costs, its a couple hundred quid a month? I live at home as it stands, no rent, no bills. My other half wants to move out with me in the near future but she's a graduate and earns £21k a year, about average for the area we live in.
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You’ll very likely flunk your final year if you carry on like this. It’s not worth it. Leave.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads