The Student Room Group

I'm hoping to turn my grades around

Hi guys!

So basically I know this must sound very ambitious but I hope to study law, the grades I would like is an A* A B for the York University i, however after my mocks I got a C, C B I'm hoping to turn my grades around and I really need tips on how to do this.
Original post by Lollipop0
Hi guys!

So basically I know this must sound very ambitious but I hope to study law, the grades I would like is an A* A B for the York University i, however after my mocks I got a C, C B I'm hoping to turn my grades around and I really need tips on how to do this.

Hello,

Of course you’ll be able to change your grades around! Try to work hard and complete all the tasks you’re given in lectures / lessons. The work is manageable if you manage your time as well :smile:
Reply 2
Yes it is possible, it's currently only September and only a few weeks into the new year. There are a few things you can do:

1. Which of the exams do you need to do at A Level, for university or a career? Make these your priority subjects - include maths and English language in this as well. The later two are the must haves at C and above for most jobs these days.

2. Have a look at the way you revise, is it the best method you can use, or is there a glitch in it. Have a look at my other thread for ideas to try

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5971168

If your revision method works then stick with it.

3. Work out a study and revision schedule, from not to the exam day. You want to gradually increase the time you take, with a major step up in January. This works except of subjects like cookery and maths which you need to practice daily and revise from now onwards.

4. Keep a to do list of everything you need to get done.

5. Have a look at You Tube for other students who give advice on passing the subjects you have chosen.

6. Do pass papers, but also read the mark scheme as it reveals how the board thinks and what is the ideal answer.

7. Ask you teacher if you don't understand something. Ask them where they think your weak spots are and where you can improve your grade? It maybe as simple as neater hand writing, or more knowledge you lack in one certain area.

8 Check out You Tube for teachers channels. I highly recommend Mr Bruff for English literature and language, Hegartymaths, and Primrose Kitten.

9. Try to do some revision every single day. Make it fun and realise it's only for a few months.

10. I found mind mapping each exam paper and the exam questions really helped me work on my timings and to know what was expected of me for each questions (ie English language).

I hope this helps and good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Lollipop0
Hi guys!

Hi!

To me it doesn't sound too ambitious. I know this person and even they got a D in their physics mocks (I think?) they managed to get an A* in their GCSE.

For me, what I found really helpful in boosting my grades is paying attention in class. Actually paying attention. I used to think that I would put 100% effort in school and then one day when I became really determined to perform well I realised that actively listening is super helpful. Which leads me on to my next point. You need to want to do well. Of course everybody wants to do well, but it needs to become one of your priorities if it's not already. Otherwise you won't be putting in the effort. Again, at least that's what I found for me.

Also, don't stress too much. Maybe it's just my school but these sixth formers tell me that the teachers are really strict with the marking scheme and that when they marked it they got a low grade even though they did really well in the real exam. Although it's probably not just my school. I'm bilingual, so in yr 9 I decided to take the foreign language because well why not? My tutor would give me past papers and they'd always give me the minimum marks I would definitely get just to be on the safe side. In the end I only lost 16 marks even though they predicted a lot more!

Quick Reply

Latest