Pany5689
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I will be applying for law soon for 2020 entry, I have always insisted on Birmingham as it is the closest to me but I don't know where to go, I would like one with a good pass grade/decent amount of lectures/placement/night life/social life/not somewhere like london but certainly not a small town/resources/reasonably priced accomodation/not too expensive to live there/student feedback is good/just a friebdly and happy place to be i live in the midlands so would prefer up north/ i have been to open days but didnt like them (down south) and cant afford anymore thank you
blue.stripes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I believe the top 3 are Oxbridge and Glasgow x
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pany5689)
I will be applying for law soon for 2020 entry, I have always insisted on Birmingham as it is the closest to me but I don't know where to go, I would like one with a good pass grade/decent amount of lectures/placement/night life/social life/not somewhere like london but certainly not a small town/resources/reasonably priced accomodation/not too expensive to live there/student feedback is good/just a friebdly and happy place to be i live in the midlands so would prefer up north/ i have been to open days but didnt like them (down south) and cant afford anymore thank you
What are your predicted grades and have you considered Nottingham?
Pany5689
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
What are your predicted grades and have you considered Nottingham?
a*a*a and not really no mainly just leeds and durham, i will look on the site now thank you!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pany5689)
a*a*a and not really no mainly just leeds and durham, i will look on the site now thank you!
Sheffield is a great city which has a decent uni too......and York, although that might be a bit quiet for you (livelier than Durham tho)
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bristol - A*AA or A*A*B (AAB Contextual) - lots of extras like pro-bono work, new moot court, and study abroad option.s Great city - music, festivals, pubs/clubs, food. Cheaper than London, and has all the 'city' stuff without being enormous/lonely.

Course info - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/law/

Law School info - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/law/study/ugdegrees/faq/

PS. There is no 'best' Law School - only the one that suits you, and your grades, interests, and needs best.
king axolotl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bristol is A*AA or A*A*B wirth an AAB contextual

edit: not letting me quote - but reply to above poster
Last edited by king axolotl; 2 weeks ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Whilst Bristol is a good university city I would treat applying there with caution. This year Bristol University has been placing students to live in Newport 30 miles away so take that into account if you intend applying there. Cardiff is a very lively city and wont be too expensive and might fit your needs. In terms of cheaper places to live the North of England and Wales tend to be the cheaper areas to live. Places like Lancaster and Aberystwyth tend to be very affordable but might be too quiet for you. Swansea is cheap with good nightlife. Bristol and Exeter are nice but a bit on the expensive side and both seem to have accommodation issues this year.. Nottingham, Leicester and Leeds are not too far from Birmingham and Manchester and Liverpool are bigger cities with good nightlife..
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
This year Bristol University has been placing students to live in Newport 30 miles away so take that into account if you intend applying there.
This was very temporary accommodation given to a small number of late applicants/Clearing while the 'no shows' and 'drop-outs' of the first few weeks shake-down, and rooms in Bristol become available. Please stop scaremongering.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
This was very temporary accommodation given to a small number of late applicants/Clearing while the 'no shows' and 'drop-outs' of the first few weeks shake-down, and rooms in Bristol become available. Please stop scaremongering.
The fact is it shouldnt have happened. You shouldnt have taken on more places than you had rooms. Try telling the 25 who were placed 30 miles away in Newport or the 40 placed 16 miles away in your veterinary college it was scaremongering. It was your university who created the problem not me and I will continue to raise it rather than for somebody to suffer this again. Bristol university was happy to overbook places and offer accommodation 30 miles away and you try to defend it. They put profit before students and potential need to be aware of your policies and the fate they might suffer. People need to be aware of Bristol University's behaviour. How are they going to manage in second and third years. What other universities are taking on more students than there are places on the grounds that in a few weeks there might be places in that city. You cannot justify your university's behaviour and you know it. Here is a thread with your potential students feelings. Tell those affected it is just scaremongering
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6123090
Last edited by swanseajack1; 2 weeks ago
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The fact is it shouldnt have happened.
Do get real. EVERY University will end up with a few students in temp accommodation at the start of term - often sharing rooms in the nearest Premiere Inn, or similar. This isnt new, unusual - or unique to Bristol. The students involved were all non-guaranteed-accommodation applicants - Insurance places or Clearing applicants, and they all knew that they were not guaranteed Uni housing. Your big-drama-posts really are a bit silly.
Last edited by returnmigrant; 2 weeks ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do get real. EVERY University will end up with a few students in temp accommodation at the start of term - often sharing rooms in the nearest Premiere Inn, or similar. This isnt new, unusual - or unique to Bristol, so your big-drama-posts really are a bit silly.
Nice to see how little Bristol university cares about students being placed 30 miles away. At least prospective students will be aware of what they can expect from you. 65 students not having accommodation is just a few in the eyes of an admissions tutor in Bristol. It speaks for itself
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nice to see how little Bristol university cares about students being placed 30 miles away. At least prospective students will be aware of what they can expect from you. 65 students not having accommodation is just a few in the eyes of an admissions tutor in Bristol. It speaks for itself
It was 25 - and is probably less by now. And for info, I no longer work at Bristol.
Do grow up.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It was 25 - and is probably less by now. And for info, I no longer work at Bristol.
Do grow up.
Wrong 25 at Newport. Also 40 in the veterinary college 16 miles away. When students go to college they expect to have somewhere to live. It is an issue. If you were a parent or student would you be happy being placed that far away. Students can make their own minds up but it is very important they are aware of potential pitfalls rather than someone trying to cover a universities behaviour up. If their policy backfires on the university so be it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise