Do you HAVE TO go to open days? Watch

YasudaSayo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm thinking about applying to Leeds but it's sooo far away from me. My parents don't drive and train tickets are way too expensive. Also the journey is about 5 hours by train so I'd have to leave home at like 4am to be there on time, or I'd have to get accommodation there for the night or something... Basically I can't go. Is it really imperative that I go to the open day or is it enough to just do lots of research? Thank you :/
Dexter321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by YasudaSayo)
I'm thinking about applying to Leeds but it's sooo far away from me. My parents don't drive and train tickets are way too expensive.
Put another way, why do you want to go to Leeds rather than anywhere else?
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm thinking about applying to Leeds but it's sooo far away from me. My parents don't drive and train tickets are way too expensive. Also the journey is about 5 hours by train so I'd have to leave home at like 4am to be there on time, or I'd have to get accommodation there for the night or something... Basically I can't go. Is it really imperative that I go to the open day or is it enough to just do lots of research? Thank you :/
You don't have to go, but it's always recommended to go and see the uni before you make it your firm or insurance choice - otherwise it may be a bit of a shock if you end up going there and don't like it!

If you really like the idea of applying there and have the space on your choices to apply, but can't make it to the next open day, then would pop the application in and then save up for the Applicant Days in the new year for a hotel and the train if you get an offer
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would really recommend it. Some places (i.e. Durham) were just not the places I thought they would be, and I know I would have been miserable there, or at least found it very difficult to adapt.

Try your best to get there for an Open Day; but if you don't, it isn't the end of the world. 2 out of 5 of my Uni choices I didn't visit, but my prospective top 3 I most certainly did, and altered my choices as a result.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To add to the good advice above, just also bear in mind that, if you firm that university, you would have to do that journey when you move in/out at the beginning and end of term, and also if you ever wanted to visit home, so if you think it’s too far to go for an open day (which is fair enough) then would you feel differently once you’re there? You may well do which is fine, but worth considering
YasudaSayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
You don't have to go, but it's always recommended to go and see the uni before you make it your firm or insurance choice - otherwise it may be a bit of a shock if you end up going there and don't like it!

If you really like the idea of applying there and have the space on your choices to apply, but can't make it to the next open day, then would pop the application in and then save up for the Applicant Days in the new year for a hotel and the train if you get an offer
what are applicant days? i tried googling it but nothing came up for leeds
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would! You'll be there for the next 3 years, you want to know it's right for you before you go.
LostLioness
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
Would really recommend it. Some places (i.e. Durham) were just not the places I thought they would be, and I know I would have been miserable there, or at least found it very difficult to adapt.

Try your best to get there for an Open Day; but if you don't, it isn't the end of the world. 2 out of 5 of my Uni choices I didn't visit, but my prospective top 3 I most certainly did, and altered my choices as a result.
Tell me all you can about your Durham experience, please.
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Some universities upload tours on YouTube so maybe check that out? Or just normal students vlogs
Rotting Corpse
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd recommend visiting the universities that you really want to study at: your firm, insurance and possibly one other. Out of my 5 I visited 3, but after all my offers came in I chose to put as an insurance a university I hadn't gone to, which I think was a bit of a mistake. Thankfully I got into my top choice though.
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They are essentially another open day, but for offer holders who have applied already only. You'll be contacted directly by Leeds and invited if you receive an offer from them. They're usually smaller and run from January to April, and are there to help you decide if you are choosing between different universities for your firm or insurance choice. It will also give you a few months to save up for any costs of travelling if you really think Leeds could be for you

BlueEyedGirl also makes a really good point about making sure that the travel distance isn't an issue for you if you were to attend Leeds - worth bearing in mind!

Good luck
Dexter321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Putting my question another way, if you don't know why you want to go to Leeds, it's even more important to go to an Open Day. As others have said, it's worth going to more than one option too. Plenty of students change their minds after visiting places.
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LostLioness)
Tell me all you can about your Durham experience, please.
Sure thing!
So, I applied to do English Lit, and I wanted to go to Oxford, etc, with Durham as the potential back-up if I didn't get an offer.
I'm quite a social person, not super duper social and I certainly never really went out during Year 13, but I enjoy a party and I think that's what Uni is all about. I also love a city, I was not into the campus experience really, and coming from a pretty dead area, busy urban areas really excited me.
Durham was just...dead, for me? I'll give you some reasons why I didn't like it.

1) The city: It was more like a town than a city, it seemed pretty dead in terms of nightlife, and that was when it was CRAMMED with prospective students. It felt more like a holiday town to me, somewhere you'd just pass through. I didn't like it at all, and the biggest city nearby is Newcastle, so I felt if you wanted a decent night out you'd really have to go there.
2) The SU: This was closed for Open Day. I really wanted a lively student led atmosphere, and honestly, I didn't feel that at all. In comparison to Sheffield, it just felt a bit devoid of life.
3) The colleges: Most of them seemed incredibly battered and run down. They're essentially just accomodation for first year, and most of them just look and feel like the local comprehensive I went to. Apart from Castle, which is pretty cool, and St Chad's which is very pretty, all the others felt really run down and certainly didn't seem to to have the college identity they seem so keen to promote. Hild and Bede was especially knackered, and that was for the Open Day.
4) The lecturers: English Lit at Durham is supposed to be incredible but the lecturer seemed more keen talking about his own research than the subject. There seemed to be very little passion for the subject for the sake of the subject (the first thing he said was that English degrees could lead to accountancy!) , and there was this weird smug aura about him and everyone I spoke to. Much smugger than Oxford, I felt, ironically. The students and lecturers at Oxford were much less liable to show off (maybe because they didn't need to?)

Having said that, you really need to see it for yourself. Some of my peers absolutely adored it. But definitely don't go if you think it's the only alternative to Oxbridge, as I did. It really isn't, and you shouldn't approach it as such.

Any more questions, please ask, I'm happy to help where I can.
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 3 weeks ago
TeeCup_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Open days and travel can be hard, but as a current fresher I urge you to take any opportunity you can to go and see your (potential) future university. Three years+ is a long time to spend somewhere that you don't like. Yes train tickets are expensive, but the debt you'll build by starting a course you don't like then moving to a new one will be even more costly. It's your future, and it's so important that you find somewhere you will thrive and actually enjoy getting a degree. It is a really big deal and although open days are a ballache (I hated them), they're made to help you. Please think about this before you apply.

But all that being said, to answer your question you are not required to attend any open days.
Last edited by TeeCup_; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Nope you can find a lot out from the net.
You thought about the coach or asking if there are any open day bursaries?
YasudaSayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
They are essentially another open day, but for offer holders who have applied already only. You'll be contacted directly by Leeds and invited if you receive an offer from them. They're usually smaller and run from January to April, and are there to help you decide if you are choosing between different universities for your firm or insurance choice. It will also give you a few months to save up for any costs of travelling if you really think Leeds could be for you

BlueEyedGirl also makes a really good point about making sure that the travel distance isn't an issue for you if you were to attend Leeds - worth bearing in mind!

Good luck
I guess I'll just go to the applicant days instead, since it takes place before I'd have to choose my firm anyways. Is that okay or are open days also necessary somehow?
YasudaSayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Nope you can find a lot out from the net.
You thought about the coach or asking if there are any open day bursaries?
I was meant to get it funded by my college bursary but there have been so many applicants for the bursary this year that mine won't be processed before the uni open days I planned to go to (5th October) so I can't get it funded :')
YasudaSayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeCup_)
Open days and travel can be hard, but as a current fresher I urge you to take any opportunity you can to go and see your (potential) future university. Three years+ is a long time to spend somewhere that you don't like. Yes train tickets are expensive, but the debt you'll build by starting a course you don't like then moving to a new one will be even more costly. It's your future, and it's so important that you find somewhere you will thrive and actually enjoy getting a degree. It is a really big deal and although open days are a ballache (I hated them), they're made to help you. Please think about this before you apply.

But all that being said, to answer your question you are not required to attend any open days.
Is it ok to go to the applicant days instead of the open days? Or do you not get as much from them?
Emily_B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, you don't absolutely have to. However, as other people have said, you can't really get a proper feel for whether or not you like a place if you haven't visited.
Like open days, but for people who have already applied and recieved (un)conditional offers. You only find out about them after you've applied as you get invited to them. They're another good opportunity to find out more about the course, uni and place.
YasudaSayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily_B)
No, you don't absolutely have to. However, as other people have said, you can't really get a proper feel for whether or not you like a place if you haven't visited.

Like open days, but for people who have already applied and recieved (un)conditional offers. You only find out about them after you've applied as you get invited to them. They're another good opportunity to find out more about the course, uni and place.
Does everyone (who gets an offer) get invited to the applicant days or is it only for people who have to be interviewed? I looked up leeds applicant days and nothing came up, is it possible that they don't exist? Or that I won't be able to go because I don't need to be interviewed?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads