The Student Room Group

Thinking of applying to Dragons Den

I have a great business idea but i'm not great at public speaking. I love watching Dragons Den and have always thought about applying. Do you think I should go for it ? i'm genuinely so worried i would just faint or forget what to say. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I love watching this show, Sara Davies is so nice. She is very kind and offers many entrepreneurs a chance.
I absolutely love that show. You should definitely apply, its an amazing opportunity. Just practice your pitch regularly and by the time you go on you should be fine
If you apply and go on it, cya on the TV then.
Original post by OR321
I absolutely love that show. You should definitely apply, its an amazing opportunity. Just practice your pitch regularly and by the time you go on you should be fine

How would I practice my pitch please?
Original post by Hiro2468
How would I practice my pitch please?

Ngl I watch The Apprentice each year and pick up tricks from them. They usually write it down first, get it checked by someone else. then read it a few times and memorise bits of it regularly. I see them alone in a room just talking loud too
Original post by OR321
Ngl I watch The Apprentice each year and pick up tricks from them. They usually write it down first, get it checked by someone else. then read it a few times and memorise bits of it regularly. I see them alone in a room just talking loud too

Guess I'll get started, thanks!
Original post by StevenPinder!*7
I have a great business idea but i'm not great at public speaking. I love watching Dragons Den and have always thought about applying. Do you think I should go for it ? i'm genuinely so worried i would just faint or forget what to say. :frown:

You need more than an idea - at least a year of revenue, IMO.

agree with the idea that it shouldn't be just a pipe dream but have started and measurable revenues for around a year maybe a few months, know your numbers and market inside out, and make sure you yourself are investable

p.s. - only qualification in business is binge watching Dragon's Den, so take it with a pinch of salt lol :wink:
Original post by Discrepancy
I love watching this show, Sara Davies is so nice. She is very kind and offers many entrepreneurs a chance.

My favourite Dragon has to be Deborah Meaden! but Sara seems really nice too :smile:
Original post by Satyr
If you apply and go on it, cya on the TV then.

Keep an eye out :wink:
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
agree with the idea that it shouldn't be just a pipe dream but have started and measurable revenues for around a year maybe a few months, know your numbers and market inside out, and make sure you yourself are investable

p.s. - only qualification in business is binge watching Dragon's Den, so take it with a pinch of salt lol :wink:

My biggest worry is its just an idea atm. I haven't sold anything and actually need to money to bring it to market.
You should deffo apply if you do feel that there is a great business potential. Also, practice a lot and make sure you have a structure for your pitch i.e what the product is, history behind idea, any potential evidence of sales, target audience, what you think you can achieve after receiving the investment/plans etc...Practice answering questions you think they may ask you and remember to breathe. Goodluck
(edited 4 years ago)

Id go for it
The dragons don't invest in ideas . They invest in businesses . At the moment its not a business . I highly suggest that you don't go on it yet . Its too early . You need to develop you idea and actually have some market and sales coming through . The dragons love numbers. With just an idea you won't have these numbers to tell them .
Original post by THE-BLACK-CAT
The dragons don't invest in ideas . They invest in businesses . At the moment its not a business . I highly suggest that you don't go on it yet . Its too early . You need to develop you idea and actually have some market and sales coming through . The dragons love numbers. With just an idea you won't have these numbers to tell them .

Thanks I appreciate your honestly
Thanks I appreciate your honestly

:smile: No problem
im with the black cat on this one!! theres no need to rush, make sure you cover everything first! and when you do decide to take the step forward, good luck!

Personally I think the public speaking will envolve after some practice however don’t bother apply if your accounts aren’t correct or if there is honestly no solid prospects as they will drilllll you to the point that your lack of confidence in public speaking will cripple you then and there. I’m being brutally honest forget about the nice dragons cos they aren’t nice
Original post by THE-BLACK-CAT

I second that. If you're just looking for experience then, yes, go for it, but if you're serious in terms of scoring a deal then you should wait a bit longer and go in once your fully prepared.

Quick Reply