MMU alumni looking to apply for fashion postgrad at MMU with high 2.2 Watch

thekingoffee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

TL;DR Summary: I graduated from MMU Business Management BA with a high 2.2 last June. Achieved the grade as I didn't enjoy how broad the course was, always wanted to do something fashion related.Want to apply for a postgrad in fashion at MMU, heard alumni can get a chance with this grade if they can explain themselves. Do people think I have a chance?

I studied Business Management (BA) at MMU and attained a high 2.2. The reason for the grade being I didn't really enjoy how broad the course, didn't realise this until it was too late to change but decided I didn't want to drop out and wanted to stick with it.Essentially my heart was never really in it and I always wished I'd done something like Fashion Business or Fashion Buying.

Since graduating last June I have been employed in an Insurance company and performed really well. However, I didn't feel very passionate about it and only stuck it out as I knew it was a decent job in a good company. I slowly realised that I do want to do something that interests me so I set my sights at entry level jobs in the fashion industry. The end goal was on get into fashion buying or merchandising, I've always been interested in current fashion so and has been a hobby of mine for years so can see it being something I'd love doing on a daily basis, accompanied with the fact that i also have knowledge of business operations aspect due to my degree and working in the financial sector.

Basically, I'm looking at applying for a post-grad course in Fashion Buying and Merchandising Management starting September 2020. I have had a look on the MMU site which suggests that entry requirements are at least a 2.1. However, i have also seen that alumni are given a chance to sell themselves if they just miss this requirement and are able to really sell themselves. I am so keen to do this postgrad course and feel like I have matured and learnt a lot about myself since leaving university. I am just worried that i might be turned down based on my grade.

Does anyone have any experience with this/go through something similar? Or any advice they may be able to give me? I'd really appreciate it.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by thekingoffee)
Hi everyone,

TL;DR Summary: I graduated from MMU Business Management BA with a high 2.2 last June. Achieved the grade as I didn't enjoy how broad the course was, always wanted to do something fashion related.Want to apply for a postgrad in fashion at MMU, heard alumni can get a chance with this grade if they can explain themselves. Do people think I have a chance?

I studied Business Management (BA) at MMU and attained a high 2.2. The reason for the grade being I didn't really enjoy how broad the course, didn't realise this until it was too late to change but decided I didn't want to drop out and wanted to stick with it.Essentially my heart was never really in it and I always wished I'd done something like Fashion Business or Fashion Buying.

Since graduating last June I have been employed in an Insurance company and performed really well. However, I didn't feel very passionate about it and only stuck it out as I knew it was a decent job in a good company. I slowly realised that I do want to do something that interests me so I set my sights at entry level jobs in the fashion industry. The end goal was on get into fashion buying or merchandising, I've always been interested in current fashion so and has been a hobby of mine for years so can see it being something I'd love doing on a daily basis, accompanied with the fact that i also have knowledge of business operations aspect due to my degree and working in the financial sector.

Basically, I'm looking at applying for a post-grad course in Fashion Buying and Merchandising Management starting September 2020. I have had a look on the MMU site which suggests that entry requirements are at least a 2.1. However, i have also seen that alumni are given a chance to sell themselves if they just miss this requirement and are able to really sell themselves. I am so keen to do this postgrad course and feel like I have matured and learnt a lot about myself since leaving university. I am just worried that i might be turned down based on my grade.

Does anyone have any experience with this/go through something similar? Or any advice they may be able to give me? I'd really appreciate it.
Hi,

Great to hear that you are considering coming back to MMU!

For our MA Fashion Buying and Merchandising, we can consider applicants with a 2:2 in their undergraduate degree. We are mainly looking for people who have a keen interest in fashion, so we would recommend working on your personal statement to make sure you display your interests in there.

Have you been to one of our Postgraduate Open Days? If not, you may want to come to our next one in November, where you can speak to one of the course tutors to find out exactly what they are look for from the application.

Rebecca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads