AlishaKL
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I like analysing texts and writing essays but should I take English Lit at uni if I don't like reading?
By this I mean that I despise reading by myself
I find it boring
scoobyice8
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your dislike of reading books would make most essay based degrees difficult - or at least coming out of said course with a good grade. Have you tried finding alternative ways of taking in the information like audiobooks? You may find that you enjoy reading when you find a book you’re really passionate about...
AlishaKL
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by scoobyice8)
Your dislike of reading books would make most essay based degrees difficult - or at least coming out of said course with a good grade. Have you tried finding alternative ways of taking in the information like audiobooks? You may find that you enjoy reading when you find a book you’re really passionate about...
The issue is I only take essay based subjects so it'd be hard to deviate from that
I haven't tried audiobooks but would that suffice for a degree?
scoobyice8
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AlishaKL)
The issue is I only take essay based subjects so it'd be hard to deviate from that
Well if you do decided to do English Lit, most of the books you will be reading will be pretty famous and probably available on audiobook. You would still have to do a fair amount of reading but it might take the edge of.

It will be very very hard to do any essay based degree without reading at all.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AlishaKL)
Audiobooks won't be enough - whilst some texts will be available on audiobook, it is possible that some may not. The advantage with reading is that you can mark passages that are important for your assignments and refer back to certain sections when needed, which is a little harder to do with audiobooks.

Your wider reading may involve you reading criticisms or other writings about the texts you are studying, so there will be some reading involved!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.62%
No (194)
76.38%

Watched Threads