Spanish- 6
English Lit- 8
English Lang- 6
Biology- 7
Chemistry- 7
Physics - 6
History- 6
+ AS World Development- C

these grades are horrid, ik, and even worse contextually as I go to a grammar school and am not from a disadvantaged background, but I am now predicted AAA, and can likely get A*AA. So if I apply for English and Classics II at Oxford after my gap year, get an excellent ELAT and CAT score, a good interview, and a good personal statement, do I still stand no chance?

Scroll to see replies

They don’t care as long as you pass their gcse requirements. They could use it for competitiveness but it won’t affect it much because the other things are more important
Original post by Anonymous
Art- 5
Spanish- 6
English Lit- 8
English Lang- 6
Biology- 7
Chemistry- 7
Physics - 6
History- 6

these grades are horrid, ik, and even worse contextually as I go to a grammar school and am not from a disadvantaged background, but I am now predicted AAA, and can likely get A*AA. So if I apply for English and Classics II at Oxford after my gap year, get an excellent ELAT and CAT score, a good interview, and a good personal statement, do I still stand no chance?

They’re really good grades actually. But I don’t think they’re good enough to stand against the competition in Oxford unfortunately. Especially as they look at the school you went to to add context to your results. Good luck though, I’m aiming for Oxford aswell :/
Art- 5
Spanish- 6
English Lit- 8
English Lang- 6
Biology- 7
Chemistry- 7
Physics - 6
History- 6

Better off apply to Cambridge. It's a better university and city plus they don't score you on your GCSE grades like Oxford (who give you a score based on your GCSE grades in context of the school you.went to, so not looking great for you). So if you apply with you grades, your interview, admissions test performance and A- level grades would weigh more than your gcse in your application (unlike Oxford)!
Original post by PetitePanda
They don’t care as long as you pass their gcse requirements. They could use it for competitiveness but it won’t affect it much because the other things are more important

Not true! Oxford score you on your GCSEs. The score takes into account your grade and the performance of your school. GCSEs play a big role in their proccess!
Original post by igotohaggerston
Not true! Oxford score you on your GCSEs. The score takes into account your grade and the performance of your school. GCSEs play a big role in their proccess!

Ohhhh. That’s lame. If you had bad grades in GCSEs and good grades in a levels it shows a progression and success in improvement and their ability to develop. Thank you for informing me :smile:
Original post by Deggs_14
GCSEs play a big role in Oxfords entry criteria, and those grades aren’t Oxbridge standard I’m afraid - no 9s and only one 8. Especially contextualised that you went to a grammar school, those are disappointing grades.

Lol, Bit harsh don’t you think? Those are excellent grades by any standard except prestigious medieval institutions.
Original post by Student040803
Lol, Bit harsh don’t you think? Those are excellent grades by any standard except prestigious medieval institutions.

those are great grades, yes. But not oxbridge great, especially considering they are grades from a grammar school where most people probably not a lot of 8s and 9s.

OP, they're great grades for other universities, and tbh Oxbridge is still in reach if your A Levels, interview, etc are all good also so don't lose all hope!
those are great grades, yes. But not oxbridge great, especially considering they are grades from a grammar school where most people probably not a lot of 8s and 9s.

OP, they're great grades for other universities, and tbh Oxbridge is still in reach if your A Levels, interview, etc are all good also so don't lose all hope!

edit: I meant **where most people probably GOT* a lot, not 'not' lol
Original post by Student040803

"Good grades" are always going to be relative. And I think the OP themselves were dissatisfied with their grades. I wouldn't say they were excellent grades, but probably decent by most non "prestigious medieval institutions" standards.
Not really, I’m applying for Cambridge and I got 99999988A*A* at GCSE. Oxbridge want the best of the best, and a part of that means high GCSE grades of 8/9/A*. I was getting 6s and 7s in early year 10! I wouldn’t call them excellent, but mediocre or meh.

Well I suppose Oxford is a prestigious medieval institution. I’m hoping to get into Oxford anyways. I got 999988888 at GCSE.
Original post by PetitePanda
Ohhhh. That’s lame. If you had bad grades in GCSEs and good grades in a levels it shows a progression and success in improvement and their ability to develop. Thank you for informing me :smile:

No problem. Yeah totally agree! That's one of the infinite reasons why Cambridge is infinitely better!
No problem. Yeah totally agree! That's one of the infinite reasons why Cambridge is infinitely better!

I agree too. I would totally go to Cambridge if I didn’t have to do another test apart from the lnat.
Not really, I’m applying for Cambridge and I got 99999988A*A* at GCSE. Oxbridge want the best of the best, and a part of that means high GCSE grades of 8/9/A*. I was getting 6s and 7s in early year 10!

Haha thought you were a troll. I originally read your post as you got 99999988 A*s at GCSEs lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Haha thought you were a troll. I originally read your post as you got 99999988 A*s at GCSEs lol

Well then you are mistaken.

Oh he wasn’t trolling these are the new minimum Oxford requirements as well as being a national polo champion and daddy being the duke of westminister.
Well then you are mistaken.

Just read through some of your posts and you don't sound like a very pleasant person. I pray to God you don't apply to my College lol
Just read through some of your posts and you don't sound like a very pleasant person. I pray to God you don't apply to my College lol

Lmao preach
As above, Oxford do put more weight on GCSEs in the admissions process. They are one of the criteria (most) courses use to determine who they invite to interview, and Classics specifically notes they do consider this. I'm not sure to what extent English or the joint school does however. The pre-interview admissions tests usually outweigh GCSEs but, given you also went to a grammar school, it may still be a tough sell.

Worst case scenario it's only one of your five options, just bear in mind it might be a long shot to get an interview in the first place. I would note Cambridge generally doesn't put much weight on GCSEs, however of course they don't have the joint course as at Oxford, so you would need to pick either classics or english (although you may be able to start in one and move to the other, most likely beginning in the Classics Tripos the moving to the English Tripos). They do have their ASNAC course though as well (which also involves aspects of old/ancient language learning with literature and historical contexts).
Better off apply to Cambridge. It's a better university and city plus they don't score you on your GCSE grades like Oxford (who give you a score based on your GCSE grades in context of the school you.went to, so not looking great for you). So if you apply with you grades, your interview, admissions test performance and A- level grades would weigh more than your gcse in your application (unlike Oxford)!

thanks for the reply, and yeah I recently have been considering that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending