Functionalists view on sexuality

Watch this thread
ms314269
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any comments on the subject would be great, but specifically any advice on finding quotes about this specific subject?
AnxiousMuffin
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Well Functionalists believe in strict family rules specially marital relationships. so they only believe in a man and a woman having a relationship because thats what the society accepts they don't have much to say about homosexuality because they don't believe it in because it's dysfunctional.
However, i found this Talcott Parson argument. hope it helps.
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/al...ctives-on-sex/
"Functionalists such as Talcott Parsons (1955) have long argued that the regulation of sexual activity is an important function of the family. Social norms surrounding family life have, traditionally, encouraged sexual activity within the family unit (marriage) and have discouraged activity outside of it (premarital and extramarital sex). From a functionalist point of view, the purpose of encouraging sexual activity in the confines of marriage is to intensify the bond between spouses and to ensure that procreation occurs within a stable, legally recognized relationship. This structure gives offspring the best possible chance for appropriate socialization and the provision of basic resources."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
19.21%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (37)
24.5%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (78)
51.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.64%

Watched Threads