The Student Room Group

Best Unis for law?

Hello! I’m currently in year 12 and have been researching universities and their grade requirements. I got fairly decent GCSES, my average grade being 6.8. My a levels are law, English literature and English language. I’ve been accepted into an ‘enhancing excellence’ group in my sixth form for students applying to Russell Group Universities. I wanted to see other people’s opinions on the following universities: Oxford, Cambridge, York, Durham, Stirling, Keele. And perhaps others which you would recommend?
Hi! I’m currently in Year 13 and applying to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, UCL, and Birmingham for Law. The most important part of choosing which universities you’ll apply to is whether or not you like the course. Most offer the seven foundation subjects, but it’d be worth checking out what optional modules different universities offer. I would mention that I’m not sure whether Eng Lang and Law are facilitating subjects, and it’s usually recommended that you have two facilitating subjects to apply to Cambridge for Law. I’ve taken History, Eng Lit, Maths, and Chemistry.
Not a Law student, however I know a handful of people who are and have chosen DeMontfort University as it's supposed to be very good. I even know a guy who moved all the way from Cornwall to Leicester to study on that degree. Maybe this is something you can look into.
Original post by Miriam29
Hi! I’m currently in Year 13 and applying to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, UCL, and Birmingham for Law. The most important part of choosing which universities you’ll apply to is whether or not you like the course. Most offer the seven foundation subjects, but it’d be worth checking out what optional modules different universities offer. I would mention that I’m not sure whether Eng Lang and Law are facilitating subjects, and it’s usually recommended that you have two facilitating subjects to apply to Cambridge for Law. I’ve taken History, Eng Lit, Maths, and Chemistry.

I was going to take history however, my gcse result in it was lower than expected and when I went to my sixth form to enroll they told me to not take it (I did pass it). They said it would be a safer choice to take English language because I got a higher grade in that. Have I just ruined my chances of getting a place at Cambridge already? 😂
Original post by TeeCup_
Not a Law student, however I know a handful of people who are and have chosen DeMontfort University as it's supposed to be very good. I even know a guy who moved all the way from Cornwall to Leicester to study on that degree. Maybe this is something you can look into.

He must have been mad - there's nothing special about DeMontfort and it's not in the same league as the other unis OP is talking about like Oxbridge, Durham and York.
Original post by harrysbar
He must have been mad - there's nothing special about DeMontfort and it's not in the same league as the other unis OP is talking about like Oxbridge, Durham and York.

Not necessarily mad, what might not suit you could be a great fit for somebody else. OP quite literally asked the question "Best Uni's For Law?", so I answered with information I retained from students. OP doesn't have to take advice from me, so leave it at that.

Oh and also, I found your comment to be of an extremely entitled nature. I don't understand why people seem to think dobbing down universities that may not be on the same level is acceptable. Nobody is better than the next person for attending a Russell Group. That being said, OP I wish you luck whatever uni you decide to go to.
Original post by TeeCup_
Oh and also, I found your comment to be of an extremely entitled nature. I don't understand why people seem to think dobbing down universities that may not be on the same level is acceptable. Nobody is better than the next person for attending a Russell Group. That being said, OP I wish you luck whatever uni you decide to go to.

I was taking the sort of unis OP is interested in from OP themselves - Oxbridge, Durham, York.

De Montfort does not have a particularly good reputation for Law and someone who is aiming for Russell Group unis like Oxbridge, Durham, York is very unlikely to also be interested in it, so why am I elitist when it is OP who mentioned RG? (and fair play to them for aiming high).

Just because you know one or two people who went to a particular uni does not make that uni "a great fit for somebody else" as you say.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was taking the sort of unis OP is interested in from OP themselves - Oxbridge, Durham, York.

De Montfort does not have a particularly good reputation for Law and someone who is aiming for Russell Group unis like Oxbridge, Durham, York is very unlikely to also be interested in it, so why am I elitist when it is OP who mentioned RG? (and fair play to them for aiming high).

Just because you know one or two people who went to a particular uni does not make that uni "a great fit for somebody else" as you say.

I'm simply answering the question like OP asked. After they mentioned RG universities, they also said "And perhaps others which you would recommend?", so I said it. I don't even go to DeMontfort as I found it wasn't great for my chosen course, doesn't mean it's not good for something else. It's the OPs job to research universities and decide what is best for them, not mine. So if I (or anyone else for that matter) gives advice, take it or leave it.
Original post by TeeCup_
I'm simply answering the question like OP asked. After they mentioned RG universities, they also said "And perhaps others which you would recommend?", so I said it. I don't even go to DeMontfort as I found it wasn't great for my chosen course, doesn't mean it's not good for something else. It's the OPs job to research universities and decide what is best for them, not mine. So if I (or anyone else for that matter) gives advice, take it or leave it.

Fair enough but not polite to lob personal attacks at other people
Original post by EllieLouise_
I was going to take history however, my gcse result in it was lower than expected and when I went to my sixth form to enroll they told me to not take it (I did pass it). They said it would be a safer choice to take English language because I got a higher grade in that. Have I just ruined my chances of getting a place at Cambridge already? 😂

I’d say that you may be disadvantaged with only one facilitating subject. I’m not an admissions tutor so don’t take my word for it - you can always email and ask a college/faculty. However, the Trinity College website says that they require two facilitating subjects which are Maths, Sciences, Foreign Languages, Eng Lit, Geography, History, and Classical Languages.
Fair enough but not polite to lob personal attacks at other people

I disagree with you, I don't think I did that at all. But we'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Original post by EllieLouise_
Hello! I’m currently in year 12 and have been researching universities and their grade requirements. I got fairly decent GCSES, my average grade being 6.8. My a levels are law, English literature and English language. I’ve been accepted into an ‘enhancing excellence’ group in my sixth form for students applying to Russell Group Universities. I wanted to see other people’s opinions on the following universities: Oxford, Cambridge, York, Durham, Stirling, Keele. And perhaps others which you would recommend?

My only slight concern about your A levels are that a tiny minority of unis, like LSE for example, won't like the fact you have taken English Lit and English Lang as they may be considered too similar. This is what they say on their website under subject combinations they consider too narrow:
"Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other".

Other Russell Group unis won't mind but it may be worth checking with their Admissions before you apply just to make sure - via email or personally if you are visiting them. There are lots of other unis you could also consider - if you generally prefer the idea of studying in the North, for example, you could consider Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Lancaster and Sheffield (or Nottingham - northish..... well it is to me)
Useful article - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - especially the section on spreading your choices across different grade requirements : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending