The Student Room Group

Writing a methodology for a proposal

Hello Evreyone,
I have found an adivser in Oxford interested in my work. She would like me however to write a methology section in my proposal. However, with a limited amount of words, I am struggling to figure out what I must write in a methodology section and what I can leave out. Could anyone recommend and sources on how to write a methology for a proposal?
Very briefly, my project is in the social sciences and education.
Original post by zelayaparadigm
Hello Evreyone,
I have found an adivser in Oxford interested in my work. She would like me however to write a methology section in my proposal. However, with a limited amount of words, I am struggling to figure out what I must write in a methodology section and what I can leave out. Could anyone recommend and sources on how to write a methology for a proposal?
Very briefly, my project is in the social sciences and education.

How many words are recommended for the methodology?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
How many words are recommended for the methodology?

And add to that, are you allowed / required to support this with a bibliography, e.g. "I will use methods [X, Y] to do (interesting things A, B, C) as reported in related work by [Z]". That can be a very compact and efficient way of getting ideas across, whilst also demonstrating some knowledge of the field and relevant literature.
I was only told that the max amount of words for the proposal is 2000. I would like to make my methodology around 500, but i could do more if needed
Yes, I am allowed to support my methodology with a bibliography.
Yes, I am allowed to support my methodology with a bibliography.

Ok, make sure you know if the word limit is with or without those references, I would expect "without" but best to check. If its with, take care to use a mnimilaist form so you dont burn up words that would be better spent elsewhere.
Thanks for the info. Could anyone tell me more information about the content of the methodology?
Thanks for the info. Could anyone tell me more information about the content of the methodology?

C’mon, that’s easy to research.
Original post by DrSocSciences
C’mon, that’s easy to research.

I was wondering if people could give me their opinions on what they think is important. Also, how does your response really help other than make me feel bad about asking?
I was wondering if people could give me their opinions on what they think is important. Also, how does your response really help other than make me feel bad about asking?

If you want to be a PG student, and particularly at Oxford, you really have to "own" this kind of problem, life is going to be very different compared to being an undergrad. A good starting point is to make that method section yours in concept and execution. What do you "think" it should be, how will you benchmark that against best practice ?
(edited 4 years ago)

Well, that’s the constructive outcome that was intended. You need to engage the resourceful, problem-solving part of your brain, rather than the emotional one.
Thank you for this reponse and suggestion! Sorry, I didn´t mention this was for a PhD program, so, yes, I do understand that ungrad will be different from graduate school.
Thank you for this reponse and suggestion! Sorry, I didn´t mention this was for a PhD program, so, yes, I do understand that ungrad will be different from graduate school.

Ok, for bonus points, make sure you have read the last 5 papers your prospective supervisor published. Are there useful bits of method in there, if so, make sure to reference relevant points to show you are aware of their work.

Is this a "one shot" or an "itterative / collaborative" document ? In some cases you and the supervisor will end up editing this into its final form before launching it at a scholarship funding scheme. At other times, it might be a "show me what you have got" request from the potential supervisor before they decide whether to invest effort in your application.
I was only told that the max amount of words for the proposal is 2000. I would like to make my methodology around 500, but i could do more if needed

I would have thought 500 was rather a large proportion of 2000 out of the whole proposal.

100 Describing the research question
400 describing the current stage of research, the key players, the direct of travel etc
200 describing how your question fills a useful gap, counters an idea, produces new/different evidence
300 describing the methodology, alternatives, why they aren't so good etc
600 describing the execution, timeline, sub questions, showing you've got access to the data, resources etc
200 describing possible problems
100 confirming you've got or how you will get any special skills necessary eg languages, software skills etc
100 contingency

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending