This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
B1521 Repeal of the Trade Union Act (2018) (2019), TSR Government

Repeal of the Trade Union Act (2018)

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Repeals
(a) The Trade Union Act (2018)1 is hereby repealed.

2. Commencement & Short Title
(a) This Act may be cited as the Trade Union Act Repeal Act 2019

(b) This bill will come into effect immediately upon passing.

(c) This bill will apply to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland*

Notes: This government is committed to preserving the rights of all workers to strike and we believe this act passed by the previous Parliament goes contrary to this ideal, by curtailing the most powerful leverage workers collectively have over their employers, i.e. to withdraw their labour. Emergency workers carry out a vital role in our society, but it is for this reason that they should be entitled to the best pay and working conditions, something that can be eroded when their right to strike is curtailed.

(1) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5488414
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want to get mugged because PC Plod's on strike, good for you. Nay.
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye, this is the greatest leverage workers have against their bosses. It is because of the importance of the jobs of emergency workers that they deserve better.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye as well. The Bill which is being repealed was unreasonable in its restrictions.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
If you want to get mugged because PC Plod's on strike, good for you. Nay.
Repealing this act would not allow the police to strike. Other acts prevent the police and armed forces from striking.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay; on two fronts.

This is atrociously formatted and trade unions should be as restricted as possible to avoid a repeat of the 1970s nightmare and the winter of discontent.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, I will oppose this bill.

That the Liberal Democrat’s have backed this bill is a dark moment for the Mhoc.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
That the Liberal Democrat’s have backed this bill is a dark moment for the Mhoc.
I support the bill because I believe unequivocally in the right of workers to withdraw their Labour. As a species, humans survived without the services described as "essential" in the original bill and therefore I don't categorically interpret them as essential.

It may be argued that they are essential in a modern, civilised society, and I'd agree with that point. However, I'd also say that if we want to live in a modern, civilised society then workers should be entitled to appropriate pay and working conditions. If employers are unwilling to provide this then those employers make a choice that they don't want to live in a modern, civilised society. As a Lib Dem, I believe that is choice, not something that should be assumed.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I absolutely agree. I fought that bill while in government as it imposes unreasonable restrictions upon strikes.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ngl I'd forgotten we were going to do this but I'm very pleased we're doing it.

(Original post by Rakas21)
Mr Speaker, I will oppose this bill.

That anyone besides the reactionary far right backed the original bill was a dark moment for the MHoC.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Being a Londoner, I am often faced with Underground strikes that force me onto packed buses. This law would be dangerous to Londoners' jobs, so I shall vote No.
abucha3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay. The Trade Union Act prevents essential workers from going on strike, and bringing the country and critical services to a halt. The chaos caused particularly in London when tube drivers go on strike brings the capital to breaking point.

The Government by seeking to repeal this bill clearly implies they are not on the side of ordinary hard working people trying to get on with their lives, but instead on the side of the big trade unions who seek to hold the country and its people to ransom.

I would urge all colleagues to reject this bill which is nothing more than a trade union power grab.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Aye as well. The Bill which is being repealed was unreasonable in its restrictions.
Seconded.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by abucha3)
Nay. The Trade Union Act prevents essential workers from going on strike, and bringing the country and critical services to a halt. The chaos caused particularly in London when tube drivers go on strike brings the capital to breaking point.

The Government by seeking to repeal this bill clearly implies they are not on the side of ordinary hard working people trying to get on with their lives, but instead on the side of the big trade unions who seek to hold the country and its people to ransom.

I would urge all colleagues to reject this bill which is nothing more than a trade union power grab.
Put simply: what makes them essential?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay on two grounds: first, it is not a bad act; second, there is very real potential that such a repeal will not result in a return to how things were before the passage of the act, meaning there are potentially unintended (or fully intended but not stated) consequences of repeal.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nay.

To allow emergency services to strike with a potential cost to life is quite frankly disgusting.

Findings show that the Junior Doctors strike/debacle a while back had big implicatoins for the provision of healthcare, which is simply not fair.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Being a Londoner, I am often faced with Underground strikes that force me onto packed buses. This law would be dangerous to Londoners' jobs, so I shall vote No.
My former neighbour who works for London Underground mentioned on a couple of occasions that on particular chairman of TfL (who run the Underground) refused over his eight years in office to meet even once with the trade unions. Indeed the only time he spoke with a union official was when said person phoned an LBC radio programme. Sadly this chairman who refused to have even the most minimal dialogue was during a period when there were far more strikes than at other times it seems. You have probably guessed which London Mayor I am referring to.

The Bill that I hope is repealed is not the answer to this. A longer period between a ballot and industrial action is one, a threshold change another, or the requirement to provide a minimum level of service (as happens in some other EU countries) is a third.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

Division, clear the lobby.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (61)
23.11%
No (203)
76.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed