Official Canadian Universities Applicant Thread 2020 Watch

nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey everyone. This is a place for all prospective applicants for Canadian universities to chat, find people going to the same uni/course, ask questions about the application process, etc.

:woo: For other applicant threads, please check this HUGE list of applicant threads HERE :woo:

Here's a template to get going. Feel free to answer as many or as few as you like
Which colleges/universities are you applying to?
Which programmes are you applying to?
What qualification are you currently studying? Which subjects?

Predicted/achieved grades?
Extra-curriculars?
Other than Canada, are you applying anywhere else?
A fun fact?

Puddles the Monkey
Last edited by nyxnko_; 4 months ago
.:Syed:.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Hey everyone. This is a place for all prospective applicants for Canadian universities to chat, find people going to the same uni/course, ask questions about the application process, etc.

:woo: For other applicant threads, please check this HUGE list of applicant threads HERE :woo:

Here's a template to get going. Feel free to answer as many or as few as you like

Extra-curriculars?
A fun fact?

Puddles the Monkey
Greetings! I am feeling really depressed and hopeless right now. I got 2 A*s and 5 As and 1C in IGCSE. 2a*s in physics and maths. In As Ievels i got 2BS in physics and Biology and 2 Ds in chemistry and maths. I know this is kinda weird of getting D in maths but i just gave maths oct/nov and i am very confident of getting an A. I wanna study physics and astrophysicist in Canada. Predicted grades are A*AAB. I have been great in academics until grade 10 but after getting my IGCSE results, I felt really depressed. I achieved all A*s in my school exams but just got 2 A*s in IGCSE boards. That's why I didn't work so hard in AS. Extra curricular wise, I am my school basketball team captain, I have certificates from participation in tournaments. I also have achievements in debates, maths quizzes and STEM competition in my country where i study. What universities in Canada can i get into possibly. Can i even get into any Uni in Europe and Canada? I am feeling very hopeless that i might not be able to pursue my career in astrophysicist. I am thinking of applying to University of British Columbia since mcMaster and mcGILL seem impossible to get into. I will be giving SAT -too in January. If I apply early, for example by end of November, Is there any possibility of getting scholarship With my grades of ABB(A in maths Oct/Nov , very confident)? Kindly help me and give advice.
Last edited by .:Syed:.; 3 months ago
ayybarca
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by .:Syed:.)
Greetings! I am feeling really depressed and hopeless right now. I got 2 A*s and 5 As and 1C in IGCSE. 2a*s in physics and maths. In As Ievels i got 2BS in physics and Biology and 2 Ds in chemistry and maths. I know this is kinda weird of getting D in maths but i just gave maths oct/nov and i am very confident of getting an A. I wanna study physics and astrophysicist in Canada. Predicted grades are A*AAB. I have been great in academics until grade 10 but after getting my IGCSE results, I felt really depressed. I achieved all A*s in my school exams but just got 2 A*s in IGCSE boards. That's why I didn't work so hard in AS. Extra curricular wise, I am my school basketball team captain, I have certificates from participation in tournaments. I also have achievements in debates, maths quizzes and STEM competition in my country where i study. What universities in Canada can i get into possibly. Can i even get into any Uni in Europe and Canada? I am feeling very hopeless that i might not be able to pursue my career in astrophysicist. I am thinking of applying to University of British Columbia since mcMaster and mcGILL seem impossible to get into. I will be giving SAT -too in January. If I apply early, for example by end of November, Is there any possibility of getting scholarship With my grades of ABB(A in maths Oct/Nov , very confident)? Kindly help me and give advice.
Canadian high school student here. I'm not sure of the A-level requirements for A level applicants; I would assume that the predicted need to be around A*A*A to A*AA for sciences for you to get a place in McGill. UBC and Toronto would have lower requirements for A levels, as they take in substantially more applicants compared to McGill.
ArCh1201
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Quick question, how does it work with applying with predicted grades? What transcript do you send..?

(University of Toronto btw)
Aryanj2860
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Waterloo, McGill, UofT and Western
Which programmes are you applying?
Mathematical Finance and AFM at Waterloo
Desautles and Arts at McGill
Rotman at UofT
Econ+AEO at Western
IB Diploma: Econ, Business, English HL; French Ab, Math, ESS SL
IB Predicted - 43/45
ACT - 35
SAT II Math - 800
Extra-curriculars
Nothing special, the usual volunteer + Sport + 1 leadership position
UK, US, Singapore
hello1384
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! International applicant here, I'm curious of my chances of getting admitted into:
- UBC (Faculty of Science, Vancouver)
- Waterloo ( CS, Maths 2nd option)
- UofT St. George ( Arts & Science)

IGCSE: 6 A*, 1A, 1B - A in First Language English, B in Bahasa Indonesia (native language). A*: Physics, Chem, Add. Maths, Extended Maths, ICT, ESL

AS: 4A: Maths, Chem, Physics, Comp Sci

Predicted for A levels: 4*A

Not much Extra curriculars, mainly photography (I use Instagram to display my pictures) and Waterloo CEMC Math Contests, got several Distinctions but nothing else. Had several Volunteer trips as well.

I have heard so many different stories of people getting admitted/rejected that I have no idea what stats are need to get in.
Thanks in advance!
pranav23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone got any offers from Toronto or Waterloo for Computer Science?
NRZ71131
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Extra-curriculars?
A fun fact?

Puddles the Monkey
Hi everyone,
I've applied to McMaster, University of Toronto (Mississauga), University of Waterloo and York University.
For McMaster, I applied to their Economics I course and got an alternative offer of all B's and above.
For UofTM, I applied to their Social Sciences course (Political Science) and got a conditional offer (all A's as I am predicted).
For York, I applied to their Economics BA course and I got another conditional offer and an entrance scholarship.
Still waiting on Waterloo.
As a bit of context, I am a UK student currently taking a gap year (in Year 14). I achieved an A in Business AS Level, A* in my EPQ, an A in Economics A-level and an A in Psychology A-level. During my gap year, I am taking Business A-level (predicted an A) and Maths A-level (also predicted an A). At GCSE, I achieved 5 A*'s, 4 A's and 2 B's.
I am also applying to UK universities this year as a backup. First choice being Warwick, then Cardiff, followed by Bath, Exeter and Reading. I plan to go into the business field after graduation.
If anyone else is applying to the same universities as me (for Fall 2020 entry) or similar courses, please contact me! And if anyone has any advice on how to fund my education as an international student, life at any of these Canadian universities and which one I should opt for, let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
NRZ71131
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ArCh1201)
Quick question, how does it work with applying with predicted grades? What transcript do you send..?

(University of Toronto btw)
Hi,
For your predicted grades, you need to send over a letter from your 6th form/college listing the qualifications you are studying with them and the predicted grades expected. It should be headed, dated and signed by your head teacher/principal. Just scan over the physical copy and that should be okay.
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve applied to McGill for economics, with 3A*+1A predicted (maths, chem, german & music), hope I get in
Rubybenz
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Extra-curriculars?
A fun fact?

Puddles the Monkey
When is deadline for ca unis??
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
(Original post by Rubybenz)
usually Jan. 15th but it sometimes depends on which uni (or faculty) you're applying for
ahiracas
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone was willing to help me out. I'm a private candidate and I'd like to apply to McGill but unfortunately I don't know how to go about it since I'm sitting for A levels Chem and A2 Math in March. I have my E.Lit and AS Math grades but I'm not sure how I could possibly fill in my own predicted grades without seeming biased? Anyone got any idea how I should proceed?
br2611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
anyone else get asked to send their gcse results to the uni?
Like not as a photo or anything, but to pay the exam board huge amounts to send copies of your certificates to the university
ca_abat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ahiracas)
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone was willing to help me out. I'm a private candidate and I'd like to apply to McGill but unfortunately I don't know how to go about it since I'm sitting for A levels Chem and A2 Math in March. I have my E.Lit and AS Math grades but I'm not sure how I could possibly fill in my own predicted grades without seeming biased? Anyone got any idea how I should proceed?
Hi! I'm from Canada and I'm applying to universities in the UK and Canada. I'm pretty sure you don't have to fill in predicted grades because we don't really do predicted grades here. Universities care more about your current marks in your classes. Also, most universities here have web pages for each country outlining all the requirements.
mochivics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey everyone!

- UBC (Sauder School of Business)
- SFU (Beedie School of Business)

Commerce / Management

I'm studying IB Business Management, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Chinese Literature and English Lang & Lit

41 including core marks

Extra-curriculars?
Ballet, leadership positions within school

UK & Hong Kong

A fun fact?
i like bread

@ any UBC/ SFU applicants i would love to talk & be friends!
Blessing2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago

Extra-curriculars?
A fun fact?

Puddles the Monkey
University of Toronto
Track one engineering
A-Levels. Bio, Chem, Physics, Math,
Received my results 2 weeks ago. A*A*AA respectively. my average is 89%

SETA Club president
Senior prefect
Head of allied arts literary department
Debate and public speaking club member; was also part of the school team
Awards for local literary competitions
Awards for spoken word poetry and group improv
Won a national poetry competition
Played basketball for 4 years, golf 2 years, athletics team 6 years
Donated clothing and food to an orphanage for 3 years
tutored a boy in my neighbourhood for a year

I'm afraid of the dark

I would love to know my chances of getting into the track one program as it is very competitive with Canadian students having averages of 94% and higher to get in. If someone got in with A levels Id like to know what grades you got in with?
saherb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 hours ago
hey! intl student here!i wanna apply to canada for my backup option incase i don’t get accepted for medicine in my country, specifically UCalgary for biomedical sciences — but since alevel results day is on august 13th
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
52.99%
No (189)
47.01%

Watched Threads