The Student Room Group

Unis/courses with joint honors (science + social science)

I'm trying to find a degree that would allow me to study both biology or biomedicine and sociology or politics. Where might this or something similar be possible (many unis allow joint honors in humanities or social sciences, but only Exeter seems to allow a science with a social science)?
Original post by mar.02
I'm trying to find a degree that would allow me to study both biology or biomedicine and sociology or politics. Where might this or something similar be possible (many unis allow joint honors in humanities or social sciences, but only Exeter seems to allow a science with a social science)?

Derby do Bio and politics.
Try Kent for joint degrees.

Not something I would do as imo its a bit niche and their arent going to be many jobs where its enough as its neither one or the other. Maybe teaching or non degree specific jobs.
Manchester do a course in Biology with Science and Society but it's an unusual combination.

Biology with Psychology courses would be more common since there is an overlap between the two subjects. You don't necessarily need Psychology A level to do it, as the course from Plymouth uni illustrates below.

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/00485/bsc-biology-with-science-and-society/course-details/#course-profile

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bsc-psychology-with-human-biology
Have a look at UCL's BASc in Arts and Sciences. Notwithstanding the word arts in the title you can study sciences and social sciences. Birmingham have a similar course.
Original post by mar.02

Hi there!
As @999tigger has already mentioned, the University of Kent do a lot of joint honour degrees. Unfortunately, with bioscience and biology at Kent you can only do them on their own. But they do offer a degree in Sociology and Politics :smile: Here is the link to the course page if you're interested in checking it out!

There is also a couple of open days coming up at Kent in October which I'd really recommend going to if you're considering Kent. Also you would have the chance to speak to some current students and lecturers too :smile:
If you have any questions about life at Kent or anything then please feel free to ask! I'm in my final year at Kent at the moment so I should be able to help with most things :biggrin: good luck with your university applications!
Original post by mar.02

Hi. You are right to note that we can offer this combination. Our Flexible Combined Honours programme allows students interested in unusual subject combinations to continue their studies and effectively 'create' their degree course. As a university we often find that students who combine very different disciplines bring exciting perspectives and solutions to their studies and both student and their class contemporaries benefit. So, if this is your ideal course of study and areas of interest, please do not be disheartened by limited choice, there are options. Good luck.
Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending