The Student Room Group

Considering leaving medicine after med school/FY1/FY2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i thought about doing MBA but i thought is it really worth it? its more expensive than 1 year in med school itself. sure you can build up some connections in business school but is there more to that?

If its just entrepreneurship you want to do I would not bother with an MBA. Most people doing them seem to be corporate sponsored types (or just very rich already), and I find it hard to see that being worth it when surely raising capital will be a big problem in the early years of a business? Or do you just have loads of money lying around?

This kind of thing is why I am describing your plans as vague. Its not an insult - its just an impression.

Honestly, you should just leave when the time feels right. Worse comes to worst you can always go back to medicine...

They can't though. Not if they haven't completed FY1. That's the point of this thread isn't it?
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi guys,
I made this account on TSR just to ask this. I am currently an international final year UK medical student and I can't wait for it to be over soon.

I have been considering leaving medicine to pursue my passion in business. I first decided to apply to med schools because of a number of reasons, including being a highly competitive person back in A-level and also family expectations. However, after a few years of training, I realised that medicine is after all not for me, no matter how much I force it.

Don't get me wrong, I respect healthcare professionals very much since they are using their time to save lives, however, I just don't see myself doing that, at least not in the long term. I know this might sound selfish but I want to live a decent life free of stress, and being a doctor can achieve nowhere near that life given the lifestyle and poor salary in the UK. Brexit happening on 31st October might even further impact our economy and who knows what would happen to NHS.

I am just wondering what difference there are, in terms of qualifications if I leave medicine fresh out of med school vs. after FY1 vs. FY2? I asked this question before, but the impression I got was that they are virtually the same if you consider leaving medicine, because if you want to return to medicine one day, you gonna have to take the UKMLE to show the GMC that you are still competent to practice.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

I would say its a bit of an uncertain scenario tbh as you dont know how things pan out. From a logical perspective, I would probably complete your FY2 as it can open a whole load of doors in other fields such as pharmaceutics and technology / working at big business firms. Conversely, if you decide not to pursue your foundation training, what options will you take? Personally, I would just check with companies yo uwant to work at and see if having foundation training is essential or not. also consider taking a sabatical, during which you can unwind and further decide what option is best.
you aren't selfish just because you don't want to live a stressful life which is fine and understandable . it's your life not anyone elses , the only person you have to satisfy is yourself .
Hi guys,
I made this account on TSR just to ask this. I am currently an international final year UK medical student and I can't wait for it to be over soon.

I have been considering leaving medicine to pursue my passion in business. I first decided to apply to med schools because of a number of reasons, including being a highly competitive person back in A-level and also family expectations. However, after a few years of training, I realised that medicine is after all not for me, no matter how much I force it.

Don't get me wrong, I respect healthcare professionals very much since they are using their time to save lives, however, I just don't see myself doing that, at least not in the long term. I know this might sound selfish but I want to live a decent life free of stress, and being a doctor can achieve nowhere near that life given the lifestyle and poor salary in the UK. Brexit happening on 31st October might even further impact our economy and who knows what would happen to NHS.

I am just wondering what difference there are, in terms of qualifications if I leave medicine fresh out of med school vs. after FY1 vs. FY2? I asked this question before, but the impression I got was that they are virtually the same if you consider leaving medicine, because if you want to return to medicine one day, you gonna have to take the UKMLE to show the GMC that you are still competent to practice.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

thanks for such an open post. I am considering to study medicine following as a graduate, but I only want it because I want to be qualified as a back up plan. I have ambition in business and entrepreneurship. I look at medicine as something I can easily fall back on if anything else doesn't work
Original post by Neurocandid
thanks for such an open post. I am considering to study medicine following as a graduate, but I only want it because I want to be qualified as a back up plan. I have ambition in business and entrepreneurship. I look at medicine as something I can easily fall back on if anything else doesn't work

yeah medicine is quite a good option to use as a backup plan, the only problem I think is the issues relating to "fitness to practice" set by the GMC if you decide to leave medicine (even as a consultant), and then decide to return years later, that could give you some problem.
in your case, you said you have ambition in entrepreneurship, I think it is best to save the money for entrepreneurship rather than paying it for med school. for business, if you have a concrete plan it is better to put it in place sooner because businesses take time to grow and profit, more investors in term would be willing to join the board and further expand the company in the later stages
I would say its a bit of an uncertain scenario tbh as you dont know how things pan out. From a logical perspective, I would probably complete your FY2 as it can open a whole load of doors in other fields such as pharmaceutics and technology / working at big business firms. Conversely, if you decide not to pursue your foundation training, what options will you take? Personally, I would just check with companies yo uwant to work at and see if having foundation training is essential or not. also consider taking a sabatical, during which you can unwind and further decide what option is best.

i think a lot of people on the post are getting the impression that i want to "work" in another field. my end goal is actually entrepreneurship and profitability
Original post by Michael Mcc
you aren't selfish just because you don't want to live a stressful life which is fine and understandable . it's your life not anyone elses , the only person you have to satisfy is yourself .

i agree, but i would like to make a contribution to mankind if i could
many ways you can without being a Dr
I think some NHS trusts offer degree apprenticeships now, where the trust pays for you to do an MBA ( I believe!) - see here for an example: https://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/download.cfm?doc=docm93jijm4n9857.pdf
I know this might sound selfish but I want to live a decent life free of stress, and being a doctor can achieve nowhere near that life given the lifestyle and poor salary in the UK. Brexit happening on 31st October might even further impact our economy and who knows what would happen to NHS.

Just as an FYI, so that you can set your expectations right - the world of business is often extremely stressful. If you want to start your own business - be prepared to work 24x7 shouldering loads of responsibility without any guarantee of stable income for a long while before you get things going, and even then about 90% of all startups fail. If you go into consulting/banking - again, loads of stress, people sometimes yelling at you for no good reason, crazy working hours that are also less predictable than in medicine (e.g. you don't get a rota for the next 3 months, you just randomly get dropped by your manager that you need to work an all-nighter or a weekend cause there's suddenly a super urgent deadline coming, and you often won't get a day in lieu for it).

Also, the UK business, including financial services, pharmaceuticals and many more, is also seriously affected by Brexit. Lots of businesses have already moved their headquarters elsewhere or are considering doing it very soon, and there is a hiring freeze in many companies.

It doesn't mean that there is no hope, of course there is. Just make sure you gather all the evidence and weigh all the pros and cons before you make a decision.
Just as an FYI, so that you can set your expectations right - the world of business is often extremely stressful. If you want to start your own business - be prepared to work 24x7 shouldering loads of responsibility without any guarantee of stable income for a long while before you get things going, and even then about 90% of all startups fail. If you go into consulting/banking - again, loads of stress, people sometimes yelling at you for no good reason, crazy working hours that are also less predictable than in medicine (e.g. you don't get a rota for the next 3 months, you just randomly get dropped by your manager that you need to work an all-nighter or a weekend cause there's suddenly a super urgent deadline coming, and you often won't get a day in lieu for it).

Also, the UK business, including financial services, pharmaceuticals and many more, is also seriously affected by Brexit. Lots of businesses have already moved their headquarters elsewhere or are considering doing it very soon, and there is a hiring freeze in many companies.

It doesn't mean that there is no hope, of course there is. Just make sure you gather all the evidence and weigh all the pros and cons before you make a decision.

I agree, i think you have unrealistic expectations. But, tbh, it just sounds like you shouldn’t be a doctor. It’s not about money or an easy life, it is a profession, and about service. I think it is fairly well paid, but i guess that is about what family background you have. But i also think a lot of the recompense is in making a real difference.

It’s fine to want something different, and if the making a difference in medicine isnt going to make up for not having the opportunity to make significant money, then dont do it at all. If the day job isnt something you are going to be passionate about, then life is just too short. Go ahead with something that might, [this isnt a criticism, honest]

But it does feel odd for people to do medicine if they have no intention of doing it long term, a lot of effort and time goes into training doctors, and a lot of patients trust that by talking to you that you will repay that by being a good doctor in the future. I understand changing your mind, i dont understand doing it with no intention of being a doctor

yeah, but if you don't take risks, you can never get there
sure a lot of startups fail, but again if there is no initiative, there will be no results
i guess im not a person of predictability, especially when it is 40 years of predictability.
Original post by HHaricot
I agree, i think you have unrealistic expectations. But, tbh, it just sounds like you shouldn’t be a doctor. It’s not about money or an easy life, it is a profession, and about service. I think it is fairly well paid, but i guess that is about what family background you have. But i also think a lot of the recompense is in making a real difference.

It’s fine to want something different, and if the making a difference in medicine isnt going to make up for not having the opportunity to make significant money, then dont do it at all. If the day job isnt something you are going to be passionate about, then life is just too short. Go ahead with something that might, [this isnt a criticism, honest]

But it does feel odd for people to do medicine if they have no intention of doing it long term, a lot of effort and time goes into training doctors, and a lot of patients trust that by talking to you that you will repay that by being a good doctor in the future. I understand changing your mind, i dont understand doing it with no intention of being a doctor

medicine as a backup plan i guess
i thought about doing MBA but i thought is it really worth it? its more expensive than 1 year in med school itself. sure you can build up some connections in business school but is there more to that?

Never underestimate the value of a good education in something you want to pursue full time. You need business skills to run a business. I’m assuming you’ve spent most of your academic life working towards Medicine which means you probably don’t have as much business skills or experience as you will need in order to get a business off the ground and make profits. Most people making a career change like you will do some sort of qualification and this applies to business/entrepreneurship as well. That’s exactly the purpose of an MBA: it teaches you how to understand and run a company. Whether you become a CEO of an existing company or found your own, the skills you will learn at business school are invaluable. You can choose to learn the skills by yourself through real-life experience and go through all the failures first-hand, or you can invest in an education that will challenge you and make you a more credible face in a competitive market. Depends what’s more important to you. By all means, if you don’t think an MBA is worth it then don’t do it. But anything that is worth doing doesn’t come easily.
Original post by Neurocandid

Why haven’t you got a fall-back career with the degree you have already? Don’t get me wrong, it’s perfectly fine to want to use Medicine as something to fall back on. But I would never encourage anyone to start Medicine if they have no intention of becoming a doctor afterwards. You have to enjoy the work, be good at it and (most importantly), be happy to work as a doctor should your plans of moving into business/entrepreneurship not work out. If that’s not the case for you then I would suggest you don’t do Medicine at all. People who look at translating their skills in Medicine into another sector have most likely already spent some time at medical school and/or worked in the profession. It doesn’t make sense to me why you would apply for Medicine if you know you don’t want to become a doctor. Medicine is a huge undertaking and very hard work. You would save yourself so much time, stress and money if you pursued something else geared more towards making profits, or use your existing degree in a way that allows you to do that. Doing Medicine purely for having a fall-back tells me that you’re probably choosing it for the prestige, status and security rather than an affinity for the job itself.
yeah, but if you don't take risks, you can never get there
sure a lot of startups fail, but again if there is no initiative, there will be no results
i guess im not a person of predictability, especially when it is 40 years of predictability.

Tbh I agree with what people have mentioned above. You need to manage your expectations and think more closely about what interests you in business apart from just making profits. If you have no concrete plans in place for exactly what you will do should you leave Medicine then there’s no point leaving. Pursuing a vision but without any plans or goals in place won’t get you very far. However, if you know exactly what you want to do and how to go about achieving that, then go for it. You mention a lot about risks and taking initiative which is good, but you mention nothing about what you’re specifically doing to take those risks and initiatives. As they say, actions speak louder than words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending