The Student Room Group

Applying for F1

Hi guys,
I'm having some trouble figuring out where to apply for F1.
I'm struggling to find information on quality of teaching across the deaneries, the general cost of living and whether some hospitals/deaneries even provide free accommodation. Thanks for your input in advance! Considering 2 gen med rotation and 1 anesthetics rotation
Reply 1
Original post by natesh
Hi guys,
I'm struggling to find information on quality of teaching across the deaneries, the general cost of living and whether some hospitals/deaneries even provide free accommodation. Thanks for your input in advance! Considering 2 gen med rotation and 1 anesthetics rotation

I personally don’t believe that looking at deanery teaching information is very helpful. You will learn the most from your immediate colleagues and seniors, and unless you are applying to a department you are familiar with that will always be a crapshoot

A decent number of hospitals provide accommodation, VERY few provide it free. To my knowledge only Wales and rural Scotland provide totally free accommodation. There may be some places in England like maybe Isle of Man for example where it may be free.

If you want to know if there is hospital accommodation at all your best bet is to look at the specific hospital/nhs area website or contact them directly

It’s not easy to determine cost of living. Look at rental prices in the area? See how much the buses/trains are? Look at how spread out the region is and therefore how much you might reasonably expect to commute? Broadly, the south is more expensive than the north, and big cities are more expensive than smaller towns, but that’s a vast generalisation. You’ll need to do some legwork when looking at any particular area
Original post by natesh
Hi guys,

Well, quality of teaching is difficult unless you know people. Some of the deaneries put their teaching programme plans on the website [EBH, midlands] and some don't. Don’t know if that makes it better though.
London and big city = more expensive than rural. But you might have to pay more to travel for friends and family.
Free accommodation pretty rarer, might be in the priority programmes if they do that?
I think when you say what programme you are looking for, search for anaesthetics? But I’m not sure that you will find one specifically 2 x med and 1 x anaesth.
So look at the different foundation school websites, see if they appeal. Look at the areas they are in, could you live there, and assume that mostly the quality of teaching is pretty similar?
Original post by natesh
Hi guys,
I'm struggling to find information on quality of teaching across the deaneries

Hard to find, and of limited use anyway given how tiny a proportion teaching takes up anyway.

There is some data around about satisfaction scores though from the ukfpo. I don't have a link to hand I'm afraid - google?

the general cost of living

Heavily dependent on you. Obviously there is regional variation though - I'd suggest looking on Zoopla or similar and looking at rent prices to give a rough guide.

The most reliable way and whether some hospitals/deaneries even provide free accommodation.

A above - think that is only specific locations in Wales and rural Scotland. I do hear great things about rural Scotland, but of course that takes a specific person I think! Or those people just had Stockholm syndrome, who knows.

Considering 2 gen med rotation and 1 anesthetics rotation

Not normally that easy to just pick your rotations like that, especially given many places you are also picking FY2 rotations too, although if you had a decent FPAS score you might have a decent chance at getting that I guess.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
I do hear great things about rural Scotland, but of course that takes a specific person I think! Or those people just had Stockholm syndrome, who knows.

I knew an English guy who applied to Stornoway on the basis of the hospital advertising - free accommodation, free wifi, hot food served all day. He said not only was the hospital exactly as described, but multiple times he ran into a chap he had catheterised for retention in the local co-op, who would then loudly proclaim to the whole shop that my pal was a god amongst men. I think anyone could enjoy that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending