Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
We've been hearing a lot about climate change in light of the UN's Climate Action Summit, and as you saw last Friday, young people around the world are taking a stand against what is being down and how it will affect future generations. Earlier this year, Kingston hosted an international conference to help tackle climate change: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/news/arti...limate-crisis/

Remember that your small steps using a reusable mug, may seen irrelevant, but if everyone did one small thing, we would see change!

-KU rep and final year law student
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
What is Kingston University doing to combat climate change?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Kingston University)
We've been hearing a lot about climate change in light of the UN's Climate Action Summit, and as you saw last Friday, young people around the world are taking a stand against what is being down and how it will affect future generations. Earlier this year, Kingston hosted an international conference to help tackle climate change: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/news/arti...limate-crisis/

Remember that your small steps using a reusable mug, may seen irrelevant, but if everyone did one small thing, we would see change!

-KU rep and final year law student
I think you underestimate the required changes, and using a reusable mug might be more environmentally friendly it wont do all that much on the effects of climate change.

What is really required is a balanced effort to reduce the NET carbon emission output mainly targeting GHGs, it cant be changed overnight and needs a conscious effort to balance the grid carbon output and it will take a wide variety of factors. I would recommend everyone look at the UKs carbon plan set out in 1990 set to slowly reduce Carbon by 2050 to a sustainable level. The big problems really arent in the UK to build up green infrastructure to meet the grids requirements cannot be done overnight (and it doesnt need to be). Globally it will take time to build out the required architecture but will take a couple decades, I suspect richer countries with enough money to fund the changes can make a significant by 2030 and the remaining counties between 2040-2050. Is this too slow? I dont think so, obviously sea levels will continue to rise, glaciers continue to shrink, there will be increased extreme-weather as there is more energy in the system but I dont think the picture is as gloomy as it is made out.

I dont know about anyone else, but it really frustrates me when people scream & shout about climate change yet have never read the UK, EU or UN climate summaries, never bothered to read an actual journal article on the subject, but will bang on about 'the science'.
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What is Kingston University doing to combat climate change?

The university feels socially responsible for having a positive contribution to combating climate change. Whilst as one institution we cannot change the world, we do put in extra effort to make sure we not only lower our carbon footprint but also ensure that we encourage those behaviours from students and staff, a few green initiatives we have is an environment where we encourage recycling (plenty of readily available recycling bins that are emptied regularly), the materials we use for our publications such as the prospectus comes from recycled material and are recycled themselves when no longer in use, our free student buses are deemed ‘green’ hybrid buses, our toilets in our business school are flushed using filtered rain water. Our students also took part in the recently held Global Climate Strike. At the end of the day, as Helen Keller said "alone we can do so little; together we can do so much". We're trying our utmost to play our part.

- KU rep and final year law student
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kingston University)
The university feels socially responsible for having a positive contribution to combating climate change. Whilst as one institution we cannot change the world, we do put in extra effort to make sure we not only lower our carbon footprint but also ensure that we encourage those behaviours from students and staff, a few green initiatives we have is an environment where we encourage recycling (plenty of readily available recycling bins that are emptied regularly), the materials we use for our publications such as the prospectus comes from recycled material and are recycled themselves when no longer in use, our free student buses are deemed ‘green’ hybrid buses, our toilets in our business school are flushed using filtered rain water. Our students also took part in the recently held Global Climate Strike. At the end of the day, as Helen Keller said "alone we can do so little; together we can do so much". We're trying our utmost to play our part.

- KU rep and final year law student
Whilst all things things are nice touches, they are basically meaningless.

-Do you participate in any of the national or international contributing research groups?
-What active research fields are you lead contributors to relating to low-carbon, or optimising energy efficiency or renewable technology?

Lots of people put a few plastic bottles in a bin, and many people gathered in London. But almost none of these people actually do anything of any relevance yet love to bang on about all the good work they do.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Many thoudands of "Terrence and Hannah"s aren't bothered
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads