zahrah446
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My American friend has been living in a different country for a few years and she has taken her IGCSEs and she also took her International AS level this year. She got ABBD and was planning to retake the subject with the D. She also started studying for A2 in these 4 subjects. She is a good student and had started working harder after the AS results so there was a good chance she would get all A's.
Now her family is going to move back into the US. Apparently to get into an American university she has to take SATs whether she has A levels or not. So she has decided not to complete A levels. Is this a good idea? Or would completing A levels be better? Would she have higher chances of getting accepted into a good university if she had A levels?
Last edited by zahrah446; 3 weeks ago
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s a very bad idea. SATs are a sort of aptitude test rather than evidence of studying specific subjects.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by zahrah446)
My American friend has been living in a different country for a few years and she has taken her IGCSEs and she also took her International AS level this year. She got ABBD and was planning to retake the subject with the D. She also started studying for A2 in these 4 subjects. She is a good student and had started working harder after the AS results so there was a good chance she would get all A's.
Now her family are going to move back into the US. Apparently to get into an American university she has to take SATs whether she has A levels or not. So she has decided not to complete A levels. Is this a good idea? Or would completing A levels be better? Would she have higher chances of getting accepted into a good university if she had A levels?
Not all US colleges require the SAT (singular; SATs, plural, is a UK test taken by 11 and/or 13 year olds as I recall), and all that I'm aware of also equivalent accept the ACT. Regardless they require a completed high school diploma or equivalen, i.e. that they have completed 4 years of high school. If she doesn't complete her A-levels, she will not have satisfied this requirement and will need to take the GED to meet it. However most US colleges, especially the more competitive/"elite" ones, will expect students to have taken appropriate university preparatory coursework - which A-levels are one example of. Without having taken these, it may well make her application much weaker.
zahrah446
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Not all US colleges require the SAT (singular; SATs, plural, is a UK test taken by 11 and/or 13 year olds as I recall), and all that I'm aware of also equivalent accept the ACT. Regardless they require a completed high school diploma or equivalen, i.e. that they have completed 4 years of high school. If she doesn't complete her A-levels, she will not have satisfied this requirement and will need to take the GED to meet it. However most US colleges, especially the more competitive/"elite" ones, will expect students to have taken appropriate university preparatory coursework - which A-levels are one example of. Without having taken these, it may well make her application much weaker.
What is the university preparatory coursework that students studying in US high schools take instead of A levels? I used to think they just take SAT I and SAT II at the end of year 12 and that's it?!
Last edited by zahrah446; 3 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is the university preparatory coursework that students studying in US high schools take instead of A levels? I used to think they just take SAT I and SAT II at the end of year 12 and that's it?!
No, they take AP (Advanced Placement) exams (which cover similar content to A-levels/IB HL). Some also take IB, since that also exists in the US, being an international qualification.
AnxiousMuffin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Now her family is going to move back into the US. Apparently to get into an American university she has to take SATs whether she has A levels or not. So she has decided not to complete A levels. Is this a good idea? Or would completing A levels be better? Would she have higher chances of getting accepted into a good university if she had A levels?
No I think she can transfer her credits and even give her A levels in USA. If she is a good students then it would be better if she starts studying for SATs too it will help her get into better universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
68.24%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
18.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed