grace.carrollx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I study Spanish A Level online at [email protected] and I’m finding it really hard as there is no tutor physically teaching you and it is all self learnt. I’m also struggling to keep up with the work along with my other three A Levels at school. Has anyone used National Extension College before and do they have any tips on how to do well at the course
ankylosaurus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes I took Spanish A level through NEC. I signed up in Jan/Feb last year, and took the exams this summer. I am a "mature" student and work full time so I worked through the text book exercises at the weekends. Personally I prefer to learn from a physical book, so I bought that separately and only used the electronic one for listening to the audios.

I have been studying Spanish on and off for some years and I had already covered most of the grammar at some point (not that that means I can remember it!) so I really focussed on vocabulary. I use anki to make flashcards and over the length of the course I made cards for nearly 3000 words. Not just the ones in the text book lists, but any new words I come across from watching Spanish TV shows, reading books and news sites etc.

It is really hard to practice speaking when you're not studying as part of a class. Quite close to my oral exam I joined a local community Spanish-English intercambio group to practice, but I really wish I'd done that earlier so I recommend doing this as soon as possible if you have something similar near you. Another option is to look on italki for someone who wants to practice their English in return and then you can do skype exchanges. Unfortunately there are some dodgy guys on there so you need to be careful, but I did meet one person who was genuinely interested in learning and has become a good pen pal.

For the literature part you will study the play La Casa de Bernarda Alba. As well as the Hodder guide that is suggested by NEC.
It has parallel text in Spanish and English which was handy as some of the Spanish is tricky, but mainly because it has absolutely tonnes of notes and discussion about the themes, characters etc. I am no good at literature analysis and this book helped me so much.

It's worth watching the film (Volver) and reading the play early on so you have time to take them in and think about them, don't leave it to the last minute.
ankylosaurus
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Huh, part of the paragraph about La Casa de Bernarda Alba seems to have disappeared - I was trying to recommend the version published by Methuen Drama, ISBN 9780713686777
Spanishteacher
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, sorry to hear that [email protected] is not working for you. I am happy to help you with that . If you are interested in a 20 mins skype lesson (free of charge) you can contact me on my skype account tsj.23.

Tania
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.36%
No (48)
21.92%
Not sure (41)
18.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed